PDA

View Full Version : Frankie is dying, anything to help him?

Frankie is dying, anything to help him?

inmemoryoffrankie
07-16-2006, 11:00 PM
I purchased Frankie from a pet shop on the other side of town. The only pet shop which sold corn snakes in the city. The red albino was beautiful, seeming friendly, happy and healthy. Little thing, about 8 inches. I was told he had eaten on wed and here we buy him on sunday so we decided to attempt a feeding. He ate like he was starving.

A week and a half later he ate again, however this was done with slightly more coaxing. I was a little worried but told that some eat only once every other week. Frankie seemed happy so we figured that had to be it.

Then we discovered if we held him above the water he would drink and wow was that cool. He drank alot too. Sometimes would hold him there for 2-3 minutes while he drank, but I never saw him near his water unless I was holding him. I didn't think anything of it.

Well monday he ate, and it was as normal a frozen, thawed pinky. He didn't want it so we left it in his food dish, just in case, and when we looked next time it was gone and his belly looked full. We left him alone on tuesday and wednesday he threw him up. He had been acting a bit weird and had developed a seam on both sides of him.

All this going on I was told he was going to shed. Since no vet in the tricities area will treat him for more than mites I listened to other snake owners. He's going to shed, don't worry about him, they won't eat when they shed, etc.

We handled him this morning and he was lethargic but moving around. This afternoon we picked him up and I said he was dead. NO movement, nothing. Limp, upside down, every angle and no longer cold like normal. I had to leave to go get the kids from out of town so for lack of doing something better, I laid him on his log and went to get the kids.

When I came home, he wasn't on his log. He was in the bedding, not far from the log, but far enough for something more than a fall. Once again I picked him up and he was completely limp, BUT his tounge was out. I touched it and he pulled it in. I called an emergency 24 vet in Illinios and they said soak him 10 minutes twice a day and pray. I am scared. Frankie is apparently a baby.

If there is anyone who had any experience simular to mine please tell me what you did that fixed or did not fix the problem and if anyone had any experience like this and the snake LIVED, please help.

Katie

peep_827
07-16-2006, 11:14 PM
Wow, Katie, I can't offer any advice, but I've had 2 little ones go and they were both very lethargic towards the end. It sounds like you've done everything you can, maybe someone else will have some advice? I'm thinking +++ thoughts that Frankie pulls through tho.

zwyatt
07-17-2006, 01:02 AM
VET VISIT ASAP. It sounds like things might already be pretty out of hand. I'm no expert on health issues. It's tough to say with any certainty what the problem might be for sure. I would say find a herp vet and get in asap if he makes it until tomorrow.

Could be dehydration, but I don't know. Out of curiosity, where is the water bowl placed in relation to the sides of the viv? Is it out in the middle of a large viv? Or is it fairly close to one of the sides?

WRATHCHILD798
07-17-2006, 02:29 AM
im going through the same things
its horrible i cant watch the little snake(diamondback water snake)i just force fed him and he doesnt look like hes gonna mmake it idk itrs up to the lord now and hopefully frankie will pull through

Tula_Montage
07-17-2006, 03:55 AM
no longer cold like normal

I have iussues with this statement. When taking my snakes out their tanks, they never feel cold, yet they never feel warm as they all have the correct temperature gradients.

How were your temperatures. If the snake did not have sufficient temperatures in the viv then that may have caused your regurge problems.

Warm end should be between 80 - 85 and a cool end of mid 70's.

SnakeAround
07-17-2006, 05:03 AM
If he was not cold like normal, maybe he was too hot indeed? Lethargy and thirst seem like reasonable reactions to heat. But I do think you know right temps....

diamondlil
07-17-2006, 05:24 AM
What's the temperature in there? I think it's going to need something a little more direct than prayer right now. (Not to offend any religious people, but I feel the Lord more likely to help the person who helps their snake by doing some practical stuff too)

diamondlil
07-17-2006, 05:26 AM
And a hatchling should be eating at least once a week, not every week and a half or 2 weeks

janew
07-17-2006, 05:37 AM
Please get Frankie to a reptile vet straight away! You can find one on THIS PAGE (http://www.arav.org/Members/IL.htm) - that's Illinois, if you want another area, just use the links to search.