PDA

View Full Version : Taking too long to digest!

Taking too long to digest!

Fordie
07-17-2006, 05:35 PM
My corn has been in its new viv for about 2 weeks now and she has taken a liking to the cool side of her viv just lately. The weather here has been hot last few days but i just took her out to have a handle and a check as you do and she was freezing! Her last two meals have taken a good 5/6 days to digest and im thinking it is because she wont go chill out in one of the warm hides she has. Her viv temps are fine, and she is on medium fuzzies, her health seems fine and her activity is fine also even tho she wants to be the ice queen!
Has anybody else had this issue and if so how did you deal with it?
I feel like leaving something at the warm end that may entice her to go to that end of her viv but i aint a snake so i dont know what she'd wanna snuggle up to? lol.
I could partition the viv for 2days after she has eaten but i think that would be daft also because she would have know where to go to if she needed to cool down.
All confused!
Any ideas very welcome!
Thanks people.

Roy Munson
07-17-2006, 05:53 PM
If the temps are right, if she has access to hiding places across the temp gradient, if she's digesting/crapping, and if she's not puking, then I wouldn't change anything. As the prey sizes increase, the digestion times seem to increase too. I'll have snakes that leave a substantial crap in their feeding tub, even though they haven't eaten for 8 days or more. And of course, all snakes are different, and their behavior and processes can change as they mature. I wouldn't worry too much about this.

Fordie
07-17-2006, 07:22 PM
Yea the poos are coming just after the lump has gone so all normal there, plenty of hides and water and good temps and humidity and no regurgs whatsoever all the time ive had her so all good there too. When she was on pinkies she took max 2days to digest, even when on two pinkies at a time.
Gonna just observe for a few more feeds and hope this doesnt continue for too long.
Thanks

MegF.
07-17-2006, 10:29 PM
Feeling cool to the touch is normal too. They shouldn't feel warm. If they do, they are too warm.

ghosthousecorns
07-18-2006, 01:05 AM
True, our body temp of 97 - 98 degrees is a lot warmer so they feel cool in comparison.
I seriously think they know best about the temps. I've noticed different behaviors in my snakes after I feed them -I have a few that go to the warm hide right away, and a couple of others will 'chill' for a couple of days after eating and then go to the warm side. As long as they don't regurge and they have the right gradient to choose from I don't sweat it. I used to have a snow that would take like 2 weeks to poop after eating, I guess her metabolism was just a little slower.