PDA

View Full Version : Question on mites?

Question on mites?

Jay@PJCReptiles
07-17-2006, 07:42 PM
I have a question about mites. How exactly can mites get introduced into ones vivs? PJ happen to notice a couple of small dark specks crawling around one of our vivs on the piece of driftwood inside the viv. We have not introduced anything new into the vivs. We use aspen as a substrate in all of our vivs and decorate them with rocks and driftwood and half logs for hides. Everything that goes into the vivs is clean and sanitized as best can be possibly done. Everything gets a water/bleach bath then left to dry then sprayed with mite killer before it is placed in the viv. We have had no new snakes or reptiles introduced into the snakes vivs. All the snakes are fed in separate feeding bins and not in their vivs. They are all fed frozen thawed so I don't think it could have come from the mice/rats. We keep all of our snakes and reptiles in the same room. We have a couple of beardies and we keep their crickets in a small tank in the same room as well. Can crickets pass on mites? Now this is all dependant to the fact that what I am seeing is actually mites. These little buggers I am seeing are not black but maybe a dark tan in color and it's not like it's a complete infestation. Although, I do see some in a couple different vivs. If these are not mites what could they possibly be and what could have caused them? I am totally in the dark here on this one as we try to keep our vivs immaculate and clean as can be and we have not had to deal with anything like this in the couple years we have been keeping snakes. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Actually we don't care if they are mites or not. We are dismantling every viv and doing a complete and thorough cleaning with a water/bleach bath and mite disinfectant. Thanks for reading.
Jay & PJ :shrugs:

MegF.
07-17-2006, 10:28 PM
Most likely it's some type of insect that's come in on the aspen or wood. Most likely they aren't reptile mites. A cleaning with bleach and perhaps clean the wood again with fresh aspen will probably solve the problem. They shouldn't bother the snakes no matter what.

ghosthousecorns
07-18-2006, 12:43 AM
I suggest getting a magnifying glass and get a good look at them. I had a scare the other day when I saw a little speck as I was about to dump out a water bowl. I got a glass and looked at the suspected 'mite' and it had wings, just some kind of little gnat. I think I just had a couple of creepy crawlies in the moss I used in a nest box.

TripleMoonsExotic
07-18-2006, 12:58 AM
Something I would suggest as a preventative (and treatment) which cured 2 boas of mine of mites (thankfully noticed during quarantine).

No Pest Strips (http://market.kingsnake.com/detail.php?cat=22&de=410063)

I used them inside the cages (in deli cups so that the snakes couldn't touch them) for 2 weeks and hung one in the room. No more mites. :) I now hang a No Pest Strip in my reptile room at all times (they're good for about 6 months).