PDA

View Full Version : how much do you feed

how much do you feed

Kailaa
07-18-2006, 02:15 AM
and what factors into the decision
i now have a baby corn and he is my 5th snake
i know the whole feed one prey item 1 to 1.5 times the thickness of the largest point along his body
mind you i also worked at a petstore and the reptile manager would offer each snake 2 items and many of them would take it and we never had a single regurgitation
now i just fed my corn 2 pinkies
i was wondering about it because hes small (about 2 months old) but he takes them down in under a minute
even the secnd one
ive heard that pinkies offer not a lot of nutritional value and so a lo of breeders like to jump their snakes up to fuzzies and hoppers as soon as possible, but did i give him too much?hes still very alert and looks like hes whoning for more :)

Adui
07-18-2006, 09:05 PM
Hmmm,

Well you have been at this longer than I; however, I have learned in my research that it is common to feed 2 smaller items to a snake that is nearly ready to graduate to the next level. Add to that, do not most pet stores only feed once a week?? Babies need food every 5 days or so, some on here have suggested 4 days for hatchlings.. Soo, they feed every 7 days but feed more at a time, Not necessarily a good idea bu then how many pets stores really know what they are doing? LOL

(Not to say that your reptile manager didn't know what he/she was doing, just pet stores in general.)

serpentina
07-19-2006, 01:17 PM
I skipped the feeding of two prey items (pinks) and went right to fuzzies instead. My corn (Pepino) took like, a half-hour to get the first one down and no regurges yet. I was feeding once every five days but, changed to once a week with fuzzies to give him time to adjust. Now, Pepino is a pro at the fuzzies so, I may bump him back up to every 5 days again all depending on if he's in shed or not too. I basically just take it one day at a time and see what is happening.

Okeetee_Corn_Snakes
07-19-2006, 04:48 PM
Hmmm,

Well you have been at this longer than I; however, I have learned in my research that it is common to feed 2 smaller items to a snake that is nearly ready to graduate to the next level. Add to that, do not most pet stores only feed once a week?? Babies need food every 5 days or so, some on here have suggested 4 days for hatchlings.. Soo, they feed every 7 days but feed more at a time, Not necessarily a good idea bu then how many pets stores really know what they are doing? LOL

(Not to say that your reptile manager didn't know what he/she was doing, just pet stores in general.)
I totally agree with you. I work in a petstore as well but I deal with the kittens and dogs :cry: But my friends work back in the reptile section and we never listen to what we are supposed to feed the snakes. We all own snakes and we have all read Kathy's book:) So we feed them properly.

Kailaa
07-19-2006, 06:02 PM
im just wondering if i gave her too much too fast
shes nowhere near close to graduateing from pinkies but she takes them down so fast and effortlessly
so she didnt regurgitate and the lump seems to be gone now (fed monday night, its wednesday now)
ill see if i can find a picture of her with the lump since i took pictures of this feeding

Roy Munson
07-19-2006, 06:23 PM
No Problem Eating Them + No Problem Digesting Them = No Problem
;)

Kailaa
07-20-2006, 12:56 AM
phew, i want her getting big, but i dont want to harm her in any way

and roy, what morph is the snake in your picture?
i love the colour and patternless head