PDA

View Full Version : my corny not eating

my corny not eating

johnny
07-20-2006, 04:22 AM
my hatchling corny isnt eating i fed him last nite
he left it today i have him for 6 days i turned off heatmat has in uk heat is hot enough has its in 82 in side his cage but i how can make colder bottom end i have thermometer its says 82 at both sides...

pretty worried

gnarhimself
07-20-2006, 07:16 AM
he left it today i have him for 6 days i turned off heatmat has in uk heat is hot enough has its in 82 in side his cage but i how can make colder bottom end i have thermometer its says 82 at both sides...

pretty worried

Hey Jonny,from your post,you have had your snake for 6 days right? Do you know when last HE did eat?
If its been a week or two...I dont think its too much of a problem for now,mabe try feeding him again in 3-4 days time.
How old is he?

If you're using an under tank heater or a heating pad,i would suggest shifting it a bit,that he can have a temperature gradient,he will chose his own "comfort" zone.
Also try not distrubing him too much as this often stresses them out..

Lemme know the answers to the above and i will try and help as much as possible.The more info you can give....the more we will try and narrow it down

johnny
07-20-2006, 08:27 AM
he got fed last thursday pet owner told me around 4 30pm.
not sure how old is he is only hatchling baby bout 13 inches i think
its 82 in hot side and i cant seem get cool side cooler i have digital thermometer its says 82 on both sides i turned off the heat mat has it too hot over here in uk at moment.

gnarhimself
07-20-2006, 08:41 AM
Ok.

A week for not eating isnt really too much to worry about (i hope the petshop owner was being honest with you)

Dont try and feed him again for the next 2 days,maybe try again on saturday,and try some of these suggestions:

Put him in a small container
(I would reckon about 10cm sqare container with a lid & Airholes)
Put in a pinky,and close them both up and leave them for a couple of hours.

Braining a pinky....This involved taking a thawed pinky and making a small puncture in the head, that the "juices" start flowing...the smell of this usually drives snakes crazy for food.

Scenting a pinky sometimes also works,try rubbing the pinky in some mouse bedding,basically you are trying to change the smell of the pinky to something more appealing.

You can also try differnent rodent babies, try a mouse,rat,hamster babies,these all have different smells that might entice your snake to have a bite.

Switching feeding times also works sometimes,instead of feeding you snake at 10am,try feeing him at 8pm,try to replicate his natural time as much as possible...snakes are usuall nocturnal.

What i have noticed about corns is that they can be very "picky" eaters,but when hungry enough they should eat...just try and let the little guy get used to his new house,and let him "settle in"

If none of these work,let me know,so we can try some other possibilities

BeckyG
07-20-2006, 05:22 PM
he left it today

Are you saying that you fed him last night and he ate, but wouldn't eat again today? Or are you saying you fed him last night and he left the pinky until today? Punctuation would really help here.

I'd only try to feed him once every 5 days. If he skips a meal, don't try to feed him again until the next scheduled feeding day. That's how I do my snakes, and none of them have starved yet. Feeding them too often can actually condition them to refuse food.

johnny
07-20-2006, 07:05 PM
pet shop fed him last thursday i tried to feed him last nite left him over night and he didnt he only couple weeks hatchlin little baby.
soz bout the way i put things...

Billybobob
07-20-2006, 07:13 PM
Having a temperature gradient is ideal but not absolutely necessary. Having the entire viv at 82 degrees is not a big problem.

johnny
07-20-2006, 09:33 PM
Having a temperature gradient is ideal but not absolutely necessary. Having the entire viv at 82 degrees is not a big problem.

i tried to get lowered but i cant like to know how

gnarhimself
07-21-2006, 01:39 AM
johnny,i wouldnt try feeding him again maybe on saturday night or sunday,until then i would also suggest you handle him as little as possible so that you dont stress him out..

Try,and let us all know please.

gnarhimself
07-21-2006, 01:41 AM
johnny,i wouldnt try feeding him again maybe on saturday night or sunday,until then i would also suggest you handle him as little as possible so that you dont stress him out..

Try,and let us all know please.

Sorry thats meant to be: I WOULD try feeding him again on.......
:grin01:

johnny
07-22-2006, 05:52 PM
looks like another nite with pinkie being eat he just goes in corner wont eat so i think i will leave it till 5 days or so im not sure if he will eat he moves bout lot anyway but he doesnt eat.

diamondlil
07-22-2006, 06:16 PM
Have you tried a live pink yet? It will often kick-start the feeding response

johnny
07-22-2006, 06:40 PM
think hes just little nervious shall leave him alone for while let him get use to his home while im working

lyndy299
07-23-2006, 01:58 PM
Are you feeding him inside of his viv? If so, I would recommend feeding him in a seperate container with just him and the pinkie. This will also stop him from eating any of the substrate, if need be, you could also leave this container within his viv overnight, this may prompt him to eat.

johnny
07-24-2006, 05:05 AM
i will try that on friday thank you

gnarhimself
07-24-2006, 05:20 AM
Are you feeding him inside of his viv? If so, I would recommend feeding him in a seperate container with just him and the pinkie. This will also stop him from eating any of the substrate, if need be, you could also leave this container within his viv overnight, this may prompt him to eat.

:-offtopic Like Lndy299 says...try it in the seperate container,and try not disturb him for a while...also try it in a dark place.
The reasonong behind this is if the snake is alone with a pinky,and cannot see anything else,his attention will turn to the pinky,and also being in this confined space should trigger a feeding response..

I had a picky feeder that woul only eat if i put him in his container,directly on the heating wire...10 minutes later,pinky was gone...and this i did for about 3 months...after that,nature takes over,and the container isnt needed anymore..

Keep us updated..

-Bryan-

johnny
07-25-2006, 05:24 AM
inside the viv i will try putting him little container on friday
ive left him only to put fresh water in till friday then i try again

elliott54321
07-26-2006, 02:52 PM
boil then cut into threds and triy feeding it then ok plese repliy :cheers:

BeckyG
07-26-2006, 05:54 PM
Don't boil mice. Feed them raw.

johnny
07-28-2006, 08:54 AM
can my corny go off eating cause it went from glass viv to platic container has the reptile pet shop man wouldnt let me buy one cause of it.

diamondlil
07-28-2006, 10:19 AM
All corns can be affected by a change in environment, but if conditions are right you should get your little one eating again soon.
What are the husbandry details?
If you can include size of viv, number of hides, temperature, that will help. Changing from glass to plastic should not necessarily cause problems, many corns are kept in sterlite tubs with no prblems.
Have you seen the feed/shed record for the corn? Is it still active and has it lost any weight?

johnny
07-28-2006, 10:56 AM
yes everything is ok ive looked just the reptile shop where i wanted to buy a new corn he wouldnt sell me one something bout heat mat isnt good for corn snake and from glass to plastic they become non feeders and its against there policy...

so i will wait while

diamondlil
07-28-2006, 02:08 PM
Glass to plastic does not stop cornsnakes feeding, have you got Kathy Love's cornsnake manual, if so, take it to the shop and show them the section on housing. How long now since your snake fed succesfully?

johnny
07-28-2006, 04:42 PM
it not my baby corn it was new yearling corn i canny be bothered to go all the there again there stupid shop policys

susang
07-28-2006, 05:17 PM
All corns can be affected by a change in environment, but if conditions are right you should get your little one eating again soon.
What are the husbandry details?
If you can include size of viv, number of hides, temperature, that will help. Changing from glass to plastic should not necessarily cause problems, many corns are kept in sterlite tubs with no prblems.
Have you seen the feed/shed record for the corn? Is it still active and has it lost any weight?
Lil, has a lot to say and asks great questions. but your responses are so vague??? :shrugs: I would add first how many snakes are we talking about? The way I read you have a hatchling that won't eat and a year old that will, want another but pet shop won't well you one??? Again please use complete words and punctuation, it only helps people on this forum give you advice.

johnny
07-28-2006, 05:21 PM
right first of all my corny baby hasnt eaten for 2 weeks and i went to buy a yearling but pet store man said to me has my set up he wouldnt allow me buying one this is different reptile shop.
not sure why

BeckyG
07-28-2006, 07:33 PM
I'm not sure either because I can't make heads nor tails of what you are trying to say. PLEASE use complete sentences and correct punctuation. We can't help you if we don't know what is going on.

johnny
07-30-2006, 03:12 AM
i have found red spot what it looks like is blood not sure near end of his tail im pretty worried can they heal if it.

diamondlil
07-30-2006, 04:16 AM
can you post pictures? sounds like you may need to take your snake to a vet. Probably a good thing you didn't get a new one yet until you've got this one sorted out.

johnny
07-30-2006, 04:50 AM
i havent got camera for me to take photos of my little corny but its not really bleeding its just there xxx

diamondlil
07-30-2006, 05:20 AM
have you tried a brained pink yet? ask at the shop you got the snake from how they were fed, in a deli cup, in a paper bag, live or f/t? Have you weighed your snake to see if it's losing weight?

johnny
07-30-2006, 05:44 AM
pet shop isnt very helpful all they told,was that they get fed on thursday 4 30 i ask them how they said in there container. i try paper bag on thursday. I even bought matstat but the when i put it on for 84c it goes higher and temps go mad cool side and normally goes higher

i have weighed it same weight hes very lively i mean he climbs right upside in corners of container.

but my matsat goes mad ive been trying to stay 80 but when i do thermometer goes higher higher and steams the container up

diamondlil
07-30-2006, 05:50 AM
turn the mat off! do you have an in/out thermometer? I'm having to cool my room with a fan because we've got a heatwave here, gecko and frogs also needing no extra heat and all thriving, ambiant temperature 28 degrees here

johnny
07-30-2006, 05:59 AM
its round that here i will have to sort myself fan myself. yes i have digitail thermometer inside and outside both sides but cool one goes high when i turn it off.

i have to turn off heat off has it is real hot here it reached 36 the other day. anyway im off goto sort out my car out for my trip...and my girlfriend will be complaining of me being lazy again

diamondlil
07-30-2006, 06:04 AM
i have weighed it same weight hes very lively i mean he climbs right upside in corners of container.

but my matsat goes mad ive been trying to stay 80 but when i do thermometer goes higher higher and steams the container up
sounds like it's trying to escape from the heat, although hatclings seem to do the lid cling anyway