PDA

View Full Version : unusual??

unusual??

slithers
11-05-2002, 08:26 PM
i have a 20"amel.i noticed 2 defacations in a row now(forgive me for my graphic description but i think details are important for accurate diagnosis)they looked like piles of tangled mess of intestines.i feed her 1 fuzzy about every 5 or 6 days.i keep her tank 85 deg.on one side and 70 to 72 on the other.this has occured on the third day after feeding both times.i know is not a regurg. cause im glued to her tank and i watched this happen.is this anything to be concerned about,or is this normal or what?she was a tiny 9 inches when i got her and i have spent alot of time and effort to get her to wher she is now.she appears very healthy,full bodied and very active.any info on this will be greatly appreciated.

whiffin
11-05-2002, 08:34 PM
I have absolutely no idea whether this is applicable to snakes - but if this happened to a human, dog, or many other animals I'd think of worms.

Do snakes get worms?

Just a thought

pinatamonkey
11-05-2002, 08:46 PM
Eh! It better be normal, because a lot of my snakes poo like that - I noticed it happening once I started giving them food with more fur and mass. It does look like brown intestines, though (with bits of undigested hair)

Rachel
11-06-2002, 03:24 AM
hmm Ive noticed that too before but I think it was regurge. If you can see intestines etc I would assume it was regurge. Are you sure it was definately faecal matter??

kimhotep
11-06-2002, 10:42 AM
I'm not the voice of huge experience here, but my one corn has pooped like that since he started eating food with fur on it (couple years). I always thought it was twisted-up pieces of rodent hide or something. The timing you describe is even accurate to him.

-Kimhotep

boaccman
11-06-2002, 11:37 AM
i think when the snake has consumed a lot of water after eating the poo will be thinner but better digested.
the piles of gutts you describe must be semi-digested hairs, the **** in this case is dryer isn't it?
my snakes do **** like that also once in a while,
pro's and wise man
:confused: what do you think:confused:

boaccman
11-06-2002, 11:39 AM
why can't i say s h i T on this forum, that's weird, i thought this site was constructed by adult people

kimhotep
11-06-2002, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by boaccman
i think when the snake has consumed a lot of water after eating the poo will be thinner but better digested.

Maybe. My anery Ted always passes urates as well, & quite often there's enough fluid to spread over a good area of his paper towel substrate - don't see him drinking every time after each feed, though.

...just in case the thought arose that the 'twisty poos' (say there's a band name idea) were a symptom of dehydration or something.

...Which reminds me.

Nobody warned me beforehand that snakes fart.

Ted farts loud enough (while passing the aforementioned twisty specimens) to make me look around the room & say 'what IS that??' Oh. It's the snake farting; silly me.

Honestly each & every one of our animals is a big juvenile weirdo (I'm sure that doesn't reflect on their owner one bit!)

Kimhotep, pondering snake poop on a wednesday afternoon.

CAcornguy
11-08-2002, 10:24 AM
Do not worry too much. I think this is a very common and natural thing. My 4 1/2 ft female poops the same as what you are talking about, and I usually have her do it in the bathtub when she goes for her swim. (great excersise by the way) and it is exactly as you describe. She is a healthy girl too. Good luck. -Don