PDA

View Full Version : Frozen Vs Live

Frozen Vs Live

FluffyAlbino
07-29-2006, 01:16 AM
My new little baby has been eating live pinkys but the last time the pinky I got from the breeder looked strange to me. When I looked closer it had black dots and I thought it was either mites or fleas, neither one I was going to bring into my house. There is only one other place around that sells live mice and they don’t always have pinkys. It has been three weeks with me and he eats good. I wasn’t sure if I should try the frozen pinkys because I didn’t know if he would eat them or not. Is it too soon to try him on the frozen or wait a little longer if it means holding off on feeding him on a schedule?

Ratsicles
07-29-2006, 06:14 AM
Its never to early to try and switch over to frozen. I usually suggest it after a few successful feedings when your animal is in "eat everything" mode.

Schedules are mostly for us the keepers. Very few snakes think to themselves "ohh its thursday at 6 pm ... time to eat." I have come across alot of different methods for feeding ... some try to replicate a snake feeding in the wild by feeding "feast and famine" (feeding 2-3 items and then waiting for 10-15 days before feeding again). Some use the "every saturday at 5" routine. Some adhere to to every 5 days for under 9 months of age, every 7 days for a year to 3 years, and every 10-14 days after 3 years of age.

Bryan

Wintermute
07-29-2006, 08:56 AM
I suggest trying frozen. It's just easier in my opinion, because you can buy in bulk and don't have to hang around watching your snake eat everytime to make sure it's safe. It's just a matter of putting snake and mouse into a tub, covering securely, then having a nice cup of tea and watching some telly while your snake gets on with it. As your snake gets older the mice will get bigger, and even if you keep your eye on it there's still a possibility of injury to your snake. If it refuses f/t, there are loads of threads with ideas on how to encourage it, but I imagine the younger your snake is, the easier it is to make the switch.

Good luck,
Hannah

MegF.
07-30-2006, 09:18 AM
Sounds as if your baby is a good eater and will transition to f/t easily. Just make sure it's well heated and I'd be willing to be that it takes it right off.

albinoscooby
07-30-2006, 02:40 PM
Yeah go F/T all the way. It is more convienient because it is cheaper and you can buy in bulk. It is also a good idea for the health of the snake when they get older. (So they won't get bit.) If you feed live, make sure you stun them first...

ScottyK
07-30-2006, 05:23 PM
All of my snakes were purchased as hatchlings, and I've never fed them a single live mouse. You can switch over anytime for the reasons already mentioned....