PDA

View Full Version : Feeding question 2 mon. live?

Feeding question 2 mon. live?

Hades2
07-29-2006, 12:44 PM
I'm going to be getting a corn sometime next week, i want to get him on frozen mice but he's been eating live for 2 months. I know a few methods and such but I'm not sure if I should buy the snake and try to get him to eat frozen or just buy elsewhere?

Tula_Montage
07-29-2006, 12:46 PM
If this is your first snake, i suggest buying one thats been a f/t eater for some time. Trying to switch from live to f/t can sometimes be frustrating and not the best thing to deal with when aquiring a snake for the first time.

Dont make things harder for yourself and shop around :) You never know, you could find a much better deal somewhere else.

Plissken
07-29-2006, 12:52 PM
If this is your first snake, i suggest buying one thats been a f/t eater for some time. Trying to switch from live to f/t can sometimes be frustrating and not the best thing to deal with when aquiring a snake for the first time.

Dont make things harder for yourself and shop around :) You never know, you could find a much better deal somewhere else.

Agreed, if this is a first snake, go for an animal that is eating well on f/t. The very last thing you want is a problem feeder.

Hades2
07-29-2006, 12:53 PM
Alright thanks for the help, I'll just buy some where else if I can.

Tula_Montage
07-29-2006, 12:54 PM
Alright thanks for the help, I'll just buy some where else if I can.

It would be in your best interest :)
Keep us posted and best of luck!

Wilder
07-29-2006, 01:13 PM
I'm going to be getting a corn sometime next week, i want to get him on frozen mice but he's been eating live for 2 months. I know a few methods and such but I'm not sure if I should buy the snake and try to get him to eat frozen or just buy elsewhere?

You might try asking the current owners of the snake to offer him f/t to see if he will eat it. If he does, no worries. Just because he's been eating live doesn't immediately mean he will refuse f/t. :)

BeckyG
07-29-2006, 04:34 PM
You might try asking the current owners of the snake to offer him f/t to see if he will eat it. If he does, no worries. Just because he's been eating live doesn't immediately mean he will refuse f/t. :)

Agreed. None of mine had a problem switching over to f/t--even my ball pythons. However, like Wilder said, ask the current owners to feed f/t BEFORE you buy it.

Lennycorn
07-29-2006, 05:13 PM
Agreed. None of mine had a problem switching over to f/t--even my ball pythons. However, like Wilder said, ask the current owners to feed f/t BEFORE you buy it.

Me too! When I first got mine I feed live pinky because I couldn't find f/t but when I did switch over I didn't have a problem. But it would to ask the owner to try to switch to f/t.

Good luck :cheers:

Cflaguy
07-29-2006, 07:50 PM
99.9% of corns don't care.
How old is the snake? You said 2 and half months so I'm assuming a youngin. If need be, invest in a set of tongs and simulate life.
Personally, I like feeding freshly killed, although this is a virtual impossibility with pinks.
The advantage to frozen is buying in quantity, and storage.

MegF.
07-30-2006, 09:16 AM
My hatchlings have been getting a mixture of live or f/t depending on what's available in their size. The f/t ones can range from a small pinky, up to something that is almost a fuzzy. With the live I can pick and choose. They all eat whatever they get and don't seem to care if it's alive or not. Right now they are getting near shed, so I'm getting more of them that don't want any food at all.

Hades2
07-30-2006, 08:57 PM
Hmmm...thanks I think I'll see if the store can get him on to frozen for me. I should be picking him up this Wednesday if everything goes acording to plan. :)