PDA

View Full Version : My 1st baby corn snake... some advice needed please :)

My 1st baby corn snake... some advice needed please :)

ADevil
07-31-2006, 02:18 AM
Hi everybody,

Im new to the forum last night and have found it very imformative and a great help..
I got my 1st baby corn snake friday evening and as far as i know its between 4-5 weeks old roughly..
My friend who i got it from said it need feeding saturday and should be fed on pinkies...

Saturday i went out and bout 10 of em to keep in stock..
This is where i need the advice,,,

How often should i feed this snake as it still hasnt eaten and its now monday..this is the 4th day ive had it and it shows no interest in eating what so ever...
It just looks at the pinkie..smells/Tastes with toungue and then just ignores it ..

Im starting to get worried now as its only a baby and ive only ever had california kingsnakes before and they were all very willing eaters,But i also have never had a snake this young...

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated as i dont wanna let the snake down by doing something wrong...

Thanks for your time..

A. Devil

PtDnsr
07-31-2006, 07:20 AM
Don't worry about it not wanting to eat yet. They usually need a few days to settle in. I'd wait until it's next scheduled feeding day to try again. With hatchling snakes you can feed every 5-7 days. Personally, I feed on a weekly schedule because it's easier for me to keep track of but you can choose what works best for you. Also double check your set up because incorrect temperatures can cause stress and loss of appetite.

~Katie

ADevil
07-31-2006, 07:37 AM
Thanks for the advice..
Ive checked the temp and the warmest end is 82degrees and the coolest is at 77-78degrees ..

The snake is 31cm - 12inches in length and has a bark hide at the cool end and a toilet roll tube cut down the middle for a hide at the warm end ..Water bowl big enough for bathing and drinking...

I have noticed that his head is starting to become a little cloudy and his back so im hoping its just not eating because its going into shedding...

Could anybody tell me how often young corns shed and how long it usually takes to do so?
Its just i want to see it eat as i know for sure that it hasnt eaten for at least 7 days now..

Thanks again.

A. Devil

dawnrenee2000
07-31-2006, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the advice..
Ive checked the temp and the warmest end is 82degrees and the coolest is at 77-78degrees ..

The snake is 31cm - 12inches in length and has a bark hide at the cool end and a toilet roll tube cut down the middle for a hide at the warm end ..Water bowl big enough for bathing and drinking...

I have noticed that his head is starting to become a little cloudy and his back so im hoping its just not eating because its going into shedding...

Could anybody tell me how often young corns shed and how long it usually takes to do so?
Its just i want to see it eat as i know for sure that it hasnt eaten for at least 7 days now..

Thanks again.

A. Devil

Don't worry about it not eating for one week. A snake can go a very long time (months) without food. Of course younger snakes do need to eat more often but when you first get them , it takes them a week or so to acclimate and feel safe in their new surroundings. Until they feel safe and secure they will not eat. So dont mess with it much for a few days and try feeding again . If it still doesnt eat then you might want to try one of the many alternate ideas of scenting the food differently to perk up the snakes interest. The key for now is for the little snake to get comfortable though in its new home.

It could also be going through its shed and not eating due to that. A young corn will shed approximately once per month , depending on how well it is eating. the shed process from the opague stage to finish can last 4 to 7 days normally.

In general , you will find raising this corn snake no different than raising your Cal kings. but please don't hesitate to search for answers and ask questions when needed here.

Best Wishes,

Dawn

tricksterpup
07-31-2006, 12:33 PM
Also during this time, do not hold your snake. Just let it stay in its cage in peace for about a week. Then try to feed it, it should take a go at the mouse. But also, you may not have it warm enough for it as well. How you thawing your mice?

ADevil
07-31-2006, 01:10 PM
Thanks for the info Dawn :)

Also during this time, do not hold your snake. Just let it stay in its cage in peace for about a week. Then try to feed it, it should take a go at the mouse. But also, you may not have it warm enough for it as well. How you thawing your mice?

tricksterpup : Im using pinkies frozen and thawing them in warm water for 5 mins to make sure they are room temp .. :)

A. Devil

tricksterpup
07-31-2006, 01:26 PM
Thanks for the info Dawn :)

tricksterpup : Im using pinkies frozen and thawing them in warm water for 5 mins to make sure they are room temp .. :)

A. Devil
Actually, try making them a little bit warmer, try hot water from your faucet. The pinkies may be just to cool for your snake.