PDA

View Full Version : I'm bummed

I'm bummed

petee
08-01-2006, 09:53 PM
Came home from work yesterday and found our new snake dead. He was a 42" normal corn adult, that was purchased a week ago. He must had some problems before we got him because he looked well fed, and had no apparent issues. We brought him back to the store we got him from, and had them look him over and they had the same opinion. It's to bad because he seemed very cool, everyone in the house thought he was great. I was wondering though, we were told he had been fed the morning that we got him. However, in the week and a day he was in our care he still hadn't pooped, I figured it was stress from relocating ,but wonder if it was something else. Does that sound reasonable? I am new to these animals, and wondering what the problem might be?
I have 30 gallon aquarium with a heat pad and lamp on one side, and the other side allowed to be cool. The temp was between 80-85F, and at night with the lamp off in the 70's. Used aspen shavings for substrate, and had a half log hide in the middle, along with a water dish placed on the cool side of the enclosure. From what I've gathered from this forum, this should have been fine. Anyway, tommorow we are probably going to look for baby corn, and hope for better luck.

OI-TOY666
08-01-2006, 10:39 PM
Came home from work yesterday and found our new snake dead. He was a 42" normal corn adult, that was purchased a week ago. He must had some problems before we got him because he looked well fed, and had no apparent issues. We brought him back to the store we got him from, and had them look him over and they had the same opinion. It's to bad because he seemed very cool, everyone in the house thought he was great. I was wondering though, we were told he had been fed the morning that we got him. However, in the week and a day he was in our care he still hadn't pooped, I figured it was stress from relocating ,but wonder if it was something else. Does that sound reasonable? I am new to these animals, and wondering what the problem might be?
I have 30 gallon aquarium with a heat pad and lamp on one side, and the other side allowed to be cool. The temp was between 80-85F, and at night with the lamp off in the 70's. Used aspen shavings for substrate, and had a half log hide in the middle, along with a water dish placed on the cool side of the enclosure. From what I've gathered from this forum, this should have been fine. Anyway, tommorow we are probably going to look for baby corn, and hope for better luck.

bummmer man :sobstory:
did u take him or her back to get a refund at least?

petee
08-01-2006, 11:06 PM
The store was cool, they refunded the money. They didn't have anything else that we were interested in.

Flagg
08-01-2006, 11:18 PM
Did you have something regulating the temps like a thermostat or rheostat? How did you measure the temps on both sides? The lamp isnt needed and with both a lamp and UTH it might have been too hot. Not trying to lay blame just don't want anything to happen to your new corn.

Oh yea one hide in the middle isnt enough really, unless its long enough to cover both cool and hot sides.

petee
08-01-2006, 11:28 PM
Thermometer on the hot side, I dont think it was to much heat. It is a small undercage mate, and small lamp. Don't you want to similate day and night cycles? We turned the lamp on and off to acheive this, and it would change the temp 5 or 10 degrees on the hot side. Like I said 80-85f, then down to the 70's at night.

Flagg
08-02-2006, 12:00 AM
no you dont need any lamp at all for a corn snake. Just ambient room light from windows or overhead lights is enough so they have a day night cycle.

Where on the hot side did you measure the temp? Is the thermometer stuck on the glass inches above the substrate or do you have one with a probe thats on or under the aspen over the UTH? Measuring the air temp inches or more above the substrate won't help any. In my tank with a small UTH alone it would get to over 100 degrees on or under the substrate without a thermostat or rheostat to regulate things.

petee
08-02-2006, 06:19 PM
I have the thermometer on the glass, I see your point, I'll have buy a thermostat or something. I know those UTH's get hot, we lined the bottom of the aquarium with a heavy material so that the snake could not lay directly on the glass (and get burned), if it crawled under the aspen. Doing this very much limited the heat transfered upwards, and made more of a warm spot. This is something we have done with are turtle for a few years. But, I see where you are coming from, I will have to set something up. Thanks for the advice.

Flagg
08-02-2006, 07:27 PM
If it was 85 on the side of the tank inches above the substrate then at ground level it had to be significantly hotter. You definitely need a thermometer with a probe under the substrate directly over the UTH where it gets hottest. And get rid of the heat lamp. If you want light try a cool flourescent bulb. I use one of those spiral flourescents that fit in a normal light bulb socket and it gives off almost n heat whatsoever in addition to only using like 10-15 watts instead of 60.

petee
08-02-2006, 09:56 PM
I understand what you are saying about the UTH, I'm just wondering wouldn't the snake move to the cooler side or into the water dish to regulate its temp down? I am just wondering, not trying to debate you. I am curious, and everyones input is appreciated.

gwb8568
08-02-2006, 10:20 PM
you can look at the FAQ section on the main page (maybe 1/2 way down) and alot of your questions will be answered. you will need at least two hides though, one on the warm and one on the cool. check out this from the FAQ's section............and post some pics of your new one when you get it.

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20919

sfaoldguy
08-02-2006, 10:22 PM
I commend your desire to take proper care of your pets and am sorry for your bad experience. I suggest tossing the light, getting a thermostat, and make sure the snake has not eaten within 2 days of purchase. To cast more light on the viv, you can always place a light close to the enclosure but not so close that it affects the temp. When you feed the snake, place it into a clean container free of debris such as wood chips.