PDA

View Full Version : Snake bile?

Snake bile?

SnakeAround
08-05-2006, 01:02 PM
Can anybody provide me with a pic of snake bile? I tried to find it on Google but did not succeed. My emoryi, which is refuging food for a while now, does poo now and then and it contains green/yellowish thickish fluid, which I think could be bile. The poo smells really bad too, but it is poo since there is urinate with it.

I did give her Nutribac and that did not work apparently. I have now ordered some grapefruit seed extract for her stomach, since it is not available in regular shops around here. Her poo has been tested 2,5 weeks ago so I just expect it to be a matter of bacterial imbalance and maybe a minor inflammation. Could that cause bile coming out with poo?

vanderkm
08-08-2006, 02:24 PM
Passing just bile-tinged (dark green) mucus is common in snakes that have not been feeding for an extended period of time. Bile is still produced but when there is no food for it to mix with and digest, it passes through the intestine with mucous. Finding bile stained material is a symptom, but not an indication of what the underlying problem would be.

mary v.

SnakeAround
08-08-2006, 03:22 PM
thank you Mary, i really thought it might be puss chunks or something. Do you have any idea if bile stinks?

vanderkm
08-08-2006, 03:27 PM
Bile does have a distinct odor - sort of acrid, strong or harsh and I also notice that urates smell more when there is not fecal material present. Neither has the 'rotten' smell of pus or infection.

mary v.

SnakeAround
08-08-2006, 04:32 PM
I did think it did not smell like an infection, but it smells very strong so I thought I might be wrong about it. But if bile smells strong, I do think it is bile indeed, thanks a lot!