PDA

View Full Version : Caramel lavenders?

Caramel lavenders?

Cas
11-12-2002, 03:05 AM
I'm wondering what a caramel lavender would look like... I assume someone has produced one by now. Does one trait mask the other, or do they look different from both lavenders and caramels? Anyone have any pictures to share?

Dawn

Susan
11-16-2002, 08:36 PM
Scroll down to The Sponser's Back Office, click on SerpenCo, scroll down to the post titled "And another new critter". I think if anyone has that particular combo, it would be Rich. That hatchling is about as close to what a caramel/lavender might look like, but Rich is still keeping it a secret.

Rich Z
11-18-2002, 01:28 PM
It's not so much that I am keeping anything a secret as it is that I am just not jumping to conclusions yet. I have a whole lot of animals hatched out that although I suspect what they might be, I think it would be foolish of me to label them as something that might be incorrect.

The possibility exists that I have Caramel Lavenders, Butter Lavenders, and Amber Lavenders. But believe me, some of this newer stuff coming out is going to be more and more confusing to identify with each new generation. I would not be doing anyone any favors by jumping the gun on identification.

Heck I think I have some Butter Snow Motleys (Caramel, 'A' Anerythrism, Amelanism, Motley), but darned if I know for sure.

Cas
11-18-2002, 03:10 PM
Well, whatever that little guy in the post is, it sure is cute! Really like that pinky-brown on cream color.... looks almost like a pastel version of the amber in the same post. Hope we get an updated pic of it soon, I'd love to see how it looks now!

Dawn

Rich Z
11-19-2002, 03:06 AM
Sorry, but that one didn't make it. Never could get it to eat anything except live anoles, and I just could not keep up with it once the show season kicked in gear. I would have had to find a live anole for it about every 4 days, and there was just no way to be able to do that.

So unless I get another one next year, I might never know for sure what it was.

It's getting to where I dread seeing those 'one of a kind' animals any more. It's like it's some kind of law that they will be a pain in the butt. As long as they will take pinky mice in some form, I can turn them over to my wife and she will keep them alive.

Cas
11-19-2002, 06:38 PM
Awww... too bad. Sounds like murphy's law of cornsnakes - if it's new and interesting, it's going to be a problem. Here's hoping you get more of them in the future, and they all eat pinkies right out of the egg... (I for one wolud definitely like to know what it actually was, was a very pretty little thing).

Dawn

Susan
11-20-2002, 09:21 PM
Hey Rich...I'd be more than glad to take any or all of those one-of-a-kind, pain in the butt hatchlings off your hands (or any other pain in the butt hatchling), try to keep them alive, and when they're eating pinkies on their own for awhile, give them back to you. I only live about 4 hours away and would gladly pick them up and deliver the survivors. I may ask to keep just one for my efforts, but not a "one-of-a-kind". Your new varieties/morphs are all yours and I would feel like I was infringing on a patent or something. It just seems like a tragedy to lose something new on account of too much to do and so little time to do it in.

Rich Z
11-24-2002, 02:53 AM
Susan - well that might be something to think about for next season. In some cases I may consider them dead anyway unless someone else can put the time into them. But bear in mind, that if my wife can't get them started, they will likely be real SOBs to work with.

Remind me next Summer. The chances of me remembering whom offered this when I am in the thick of battle will be pretty darn slim.

Thanks.

Susan
11-27-2002, 02:54 PM
Rich - I'll definately remind you come next summer. My success rate with the problem feeders isn't fantastic, but I have had a few each year that makes it when their odds of surviving is very low. One hatchling this year refused everything I offered for 8 weeks, so I started force feeding it. After about 5 of these meals, it took a lizard scented pinky, then another, etc. and is now eating F/T pinkies as soon as I put them in his deli cup. Another problem feeder would only eat a pinky a month for his first 4 months, and never the same preparation twice (live, then brained bag, then lizard scent, etc). I think I have his number now...he's eaten lizard scented 4 weeks in a row, the last 2 times before I was finished feeding my yearlings and 2 yr olds (about 1/2 hour). I'll start weaning him off the lizard scent in the next few weeks.
I know the chances of getting problem feeders that even your wife has trouble with to survive is almost impossible, but if just one unique hatchling makes it, it would be worth it.