PDA

View Full Version : What about?

What about?

Blue Dragon
11-13-2002, 10:49 PM
I have a female okeetee corn snake. She is only a baby and I don't even know if I'm going to breed her later on. But there is going to be another pet fair near where I live and I would like to get another snake or even more depending on how much money I have then.
What I would like to know is what would a good type of corn snake to get for posable breeding with an okeetee. Or basically what would a get with a flew different types. Just to give me an idea
thanks for your help

Cas
11-13-2002, 11:11 PM
An okeetee is basically a normal (just a very clean looking normal). So, if you bred her with another okeetee, you'll get more okeetees, with a normal, you'll get normals, and with anything else (unless your snake is het for something - and there's no way to know if she is aside from breeding trials) you'll get all normals het for whatever you bred her with (that is, if you bred her with an amel for example, all the babies would look normal but could pass on amel).

So, basically, get whatever morph you like most - okeetees and normals are all you can definitely expect to get, anything else would be a surprise. :)

BTW, the most common hets are probably amel and anery a, so if you were to get a snow and breed your okeetee to it, you'd be able to find out if your okeetee is het for amel or anery a at least.

Dawn

Rainey
11-20-2002, 02:21 PM
I'm just starting to understand the whole genetics part of corn snakes. Am I right in thinking that normally you need to wait for your babies babies to get anything aside from hets? I think it's callled the F2 generation?

Sorry for my ignorance, I'm trying to learn this stuff.

Cas
11-20-2002, 02:41 PM
If you breed two morphs together (for example, an anery a snake and an amel) who aren't het for the other morph, then yes, to see anerys, amels, or snows, you would have to wait for the F2 (which is the babies of the babies <i>when mated with each other</i>... it's a new F1 generation if you mated one of the babies with an unrelated normal snake).

Dawn

Rainey
11-20-2002, 04:02 PM
Are there any problems with inbreeding when you do this?

Psomion
11-21-2002, 11:23 AM
inbreeding is fine and even good in moderation. You can quickly and easily bring out strong traits and morphs that you want. However, if you inbreed in an absolute for several generations you will start to get animals that are more likely to get sick or have other problems (such as two heads, but you could get lots of money for that one). Another more common effect of inbreeding is the zig zag pattern (which i personly don't like). Maybe you do like it though. Just make sure you mix other blood lines in every few generations. (of course all this is from the various manuals out there which i suggest ya read before getting too far in breeding (no pun intended (lie (yes i know it wasn't funny)))