PDA

View Full Version : stinky pink rant

stinky pink rant

diamondlil
08-17-2006, 03:41 PM
I couldn't get to my usual supplier today, and went to the closer shop that sells frozen feeders. I just needed pinkies for my two smallest snakes. 'No problem' said the petshop man. URRRGH! The pinkies smelt rotten, they were very dark in colour, so I said they were too small and came home, split a peach in half and all went well.
Would the smell have been due to the pinks defrosting and being re-frozen? There was no way I could give them to my snakes. I should have said the real reason why I didn't get them, but instead I'll just not go there again.

Dave123
08-17-2006, 05:40 PM
Well that might be the reason that they were defrosted and frozen again. But I wouldnt feed them those. Do you order them from the internet? I get all mine from rodentpro.com.

BeckyG
08-17-2006, 05:44 PM
Rodent pro won't ship to England.

diamondlil
08-17-2006, 06:18 PM
My usual shop does a pretty good deal, 10 pinks to a bag for £2, 6 peach same price, 4 hoppers. The other shop sells pinks for 36pence each, but they are loose in a container and often freezer burnt, which is why I don't usually go there. I was so disgusted I got a new young male mouse and have put a weaned female in with him so I can give my own production line a boost

Taceas
08-17-2006, 06:37 PM
I get all mine from rodentpro.com
You poor soul. :rolleyes:

As for stinky, rotten looking feeders...I've had that before, from the same company Dave just mentioned, on more than one occasion. One reason why I will probably never shop there again aside from the fact they don't vacuum pack for convenience.

But most frozen feeders that pet stores sell seem to be old and freezer-burnt, not kept at cold enough temps at one point or another, refrozen, you name it. Just about every frozen feeder I've ever gotten from a store has been an overpriced piece of maggot chow.

If you're buying in that small of a quantity, you have two options:

1) Buy more snakes to make ordering online in bulk reasonable (always the best way) ;)
2) Raise more of your own mice and freeze your own feeders so you can control the quality and quantity.

But in my world, I always end up doing something along both of those lines. :grin01:

diamondlil
08-17-2006, 06:41 PM
It's my own fault, I chose the shop within a half-hour walk over the better one that's a train ride away :rolleyes:
So yes, it's more home-grown feeders I've gone for, and the new pair have been 'getting aquainted' already