PDA

View Full Version : running scared!

running scared!

goldenapple
11-15-2002, 06:39 AM
hi everyone, this is my first time to this sight and it has been very helpful-thanx!
But I do have a problem... I bought 2 corns last week, a reg. and a snow. My reg was hatched in Sept and is bigger than my girl and she was hatched in July, here's the part that worries me... he eats like a fiend is friendly and explorative, while she (snow) is more apprehensive, yet curious. BUT she hasn't eaten at all. The pet store I got her from is very reputable, the breeder said she was feeding fine... I try not to handle her to aid in longer acclaimation but it's been a week, she "runs" from the pinkie, even after drops applied, I've waited three days in between feedings, but I've never seen a snake so scared of food before... did I get a runt, doing something wrong... HELP!

Rainey
11-15-2002, 10:09 AM
have you tried things like braining (cutting the head open to expose brains). have you fed it in the dark? have you tried a lunch sized paper bag (just put it in with the pinky and fold it over and tape it shut)

Try mixing some of these up too

Rainey
11-15-2002, 10:11 AM
Your snow just sounds a little stressed and nervous. It should come around, good luck!

rosie corn
05-29-2006, 03:57 PM
My snow was the same was at first. I brained his pinkie and put him in a dark covered box. This worked for me. Maybe it will work for you. Good luck! :)

Wilder
05-29-2006, 04:19 PM
I would recommend leaving the snake alone for at least a week so she can settle down. If she had been eating fine before, waiting that long won't be a problem. At that point you can try feeding her again. Take the f/t pink and make shallow cuts in the back and place it in the snake's feeding container. Then put the snake in, close it up (be sure there are ventilation holes) and leave the snake alone. Wait at least an hour or two before checking on her. Hopefully by then she'll have eaten and all will be well. If she does not eat, wait five days and try again. If you try to feed too often, she can become conditioned to refusing food.

What sort of setup do you have her in? If it is too large, or the temps are incorrect, or if she's forced to co-habitate with the other snake, any of these reasons can put her off her food. There is also the possibility she is getting ready to shed. Many snakes refuse food at this time.

Hopefully she'll eat soon. :)

Kitty
05-29-2006, 07:29 PM
I've also had decent luck with throwing a towel or other cloth over the tub. That way the snake has more privacy while I do other chores in the room. Although, I must confess, the temptation to continually check by lifting the the cloth is tough to resist.

Good luck to you and your baby.