PDA

View Full Version : twitches!

twitches!

start_smoking
08-20-2006, 02:16 PM
me and my friend put our male and female snakes together and the male started twitching when she went near him! anyone know what that means??

Tula_Montage
08-20-2006, 02:23 PM
The twitchy dance is what males do to females during breeding...
I can tell you have not researched anything about corn snake reproductive methods...

If you are going to insisit on attempting to raise more snakes, then make sure they are of the right age size and weight...

However I strongly suggest you use the winter to properly brumate the snakes and attempt to breed next year when you know a thing or two about it.

Jimmy Johnson
08-20-2006, 04:21 PM
The twitch is not ONLY between male and female to initiate breeding.
It can also be done by a snake in a new environment, it can be done male to male and it can be done female to female.
It can be as much an indication of stress as it can be a breeding response

Tula_Montage
08-20-2006, 04:23 PM
It can also be done by a snake in a new environment, it can be done male to male and it can be done female to female.

I meant to say this after i posted. I had two males co-habed for a short period to see how it went. Shortly after i saw they doing the twitchy dance, needless to say they were seperated straight away. Obviously the twitching was a sign of stress...

Oh and sorry if my tone came across as a little harsh in my previous post.

Bobo's Mama
08-20-2006, 04:40 PM
You're very right about this. I have a 5 year old male corn and if I touch a certain spot on his back he will start twitching. My 1 1/2 year old male is the same way. The only female corn I have is a 2 month old hatchling, so I doubt its from pheromones in the air.

Lennycorn
08-20-2006, 04:56 PM
Are you sure of the sex of the snakes? And do you plan on breeding them?

Jimmy Johnson
08-20-2006, 07:59 PM
Tula,
You are right, they need to do some more research before putting the snakes together, including a plan for any possible hatchlings but it did seem just a little too harsh.
Right idea wrong tone.
Unfortunately, a lot of people out there just don't realize the wealth of resources available. Most people only have information garnered from their local pet store to go by.....This can be problematic in some instances.
When starting out in the hobby they just don't know how many excellent books have been written.
They usually decide to check the internet, do a search for corn snakes and are directed to sites like this.
So, one of the first things they find when doing a search about corn snakes is a forum about Corn Snakes. Where better to ask their questions?

Lennycorn
08-20-2006, 08:03 PM
Unfortunately, a lot of people out there just don't realize the wealth of resources available. Most people only have information garnered from their local pet store to go by.....This can be problematic in some instances.
When starting out in the hobby they just don't know how many excellent books have been written.
They usually decide to check the internet, do a search for corn snakes and are directed to sites like this.
So, one of the first things they find when doing a search about corn snakes is a forum about Corn Snakes. Where better to ask their questions?

That's what ....I meant to say.....