PDA

View Full Version : What /exactly/ do snake mites look like?

What /exactly/ do snake mites look like?

Plissken
08-21-2006, 04:20 AM
I've run a search but couldn't find anything much about the visual appearance of mites... could someone help me out?

I got up this morning and noticed my new python soaking. (Yes I know this is a corn forum... but my corn is in the same room as my python so it does concern him.) While I was having a look at him I noticed a couple of little black bugs, just outside his vivarium. Were they snake mites? I'm not sure, because these bugs were sort of hopping/jumping and I'm not sure if mites just crawl. They were black and about the size of two period dots together.

Do you think my snakes may have mites? :shrugs:

If so I don't know where they came from... although my python is a new addition, I had been keeping an eye on him for almost a month before I bought him, and I went to look at him and handled him at least 3 or 4 times and I never saw any mites on him or in his bedding.

I'm hoping it's not mites as the mites I have read about have been described as tiny little things - smaller than what I saw - but I'm nervous about it nonetheless. When I get home from work I'm going to examine my python carefully for mites. So what do you think? Could there be a perfectly good reason why he's soaking, and he doesn't have mites? Could the bugs I saw just be normal insects?

jazzgeek
08-21-2006, 06:28 AM
I've run a search but couldn't find anything much about the visual appearance of mites... could someone help me out?I've run a search, and came up with this... (http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30608)

regards,
jazz

Plissken
08-21-2006, 06:35 AM
Thanks Jazz. The bugs I saw were certainly larger than a grain of pepper, so do you think I may be okay here?

Maybe my python is just coming up to a shed? *hopes*

jazzgeek
08-21-2006, 06:40 AM
Mites can be, and many times, are larger than a pepper grain....but not as large as a tick. Your best bet is to first check the water bowl - mites will be floating in it - and then check both the snake and the substrate....if possible, move it to a paper-towel substrate, where mites will be VERY noticable.

Good luck!

regards,
jazz

Plissken
08-21-2006, 06:46 AM
I will be checking everything as soon as I get home tonight. I'm pretty worried about this. :( Snce the bugs were outside I'm hoping they were just random bugs - although I don't want to know why there are little black bugs in my carpet :eek1: I know they could have come from the tank, but I haven't so far seen anything in the tank or on my snake. What other reasons are there for a snake to soak in its water dish?

Thanks for your responses :)