PDA

View Full Version : help me please

help me please

snaxy20012000
11-18-2002, 10:42 AM
hi there on saturday my brother got a corn snakes that is a year old and the breeder said that if he bites its because he is hungry. so we put him in his vivarium and the next day my brother got him out and the snake went for him arm and bit him twice so we fed him a mouse and then today the same thing happened what should i do take the snakes back and get a new one cause i dont want i snake that bites or do u just think that it is because the snake is scared help[ me please

Axe
11-18-2002, 11:05 AM
Well, normally when you get a new reptile, you should leave 'em alone totally for a good 2 or 3 days - usually I go about 4 or 5 days depending on when they've last eaten.

Also, once they have eaten, don't handle your corn for a couple of days. This is not a 100% strict rule, some corns are fine being handled after eating, but a lot will regurgitate the meal - ESPECIALLY when they're already stressed by new surroundings.

I'd just leave him alone for the next 2 or 3 days. Keep an eye out though to make sure he doesn't regurgitate the food. If he does, take it out, and take out the substrate surrounding it so you don't get a rotten mouse smell in the tank. If he doesn't, watch out for poop. Again, clear that out, an the surrounding substrate and replace it.

But make sure you leave him alone to settle in for 2 or 3 days. Like I said, I usually like to go about 4 or 5 days if possible. Just give him time to settle in and you may find he won't strike at all.

Right now he's a lil stressed out and doesn't know who you are. The fact that the pet store actually warned you about "if he bites you" leads me to believe he's been handled very little in the past and the pet store knows he's a biter.

If this is the case, then the only thing you can really do is handle him to calm him down. If he bites, don't put him down straight away. Otherwise, he'll learn that when he bites, you'll let him go and that's what he wants. He knows that if he bites you, he'll get his way, and thus keeps biting you.

If he bites you and you keep holding him, sooner or later he'll give in biting because he learns that it won't get him what he wants :)

But, give him a few days to settle in first. Nice low-traffic area of the house. But, keep an eye on him and check for poops or regurgitated mouse. If he regurgitates, try feeding again in 3 or 4 days.

I've got a psycho here at the moment with a terrible attitude. Snaps all the time and has drawn blood several times. But, I've just gotta stick with it and make him realise I'm not going to hurt him, and that him biting me isn't going to make him get his way :)

Best of luck! :)

whiffin
11-18-2002, 11:07 AM
Hi Snaxy,

Corns bite for two reasons:

1. They are hungry and they think you are food
2. They are scared and trying to defend themselves

The bites will be different in each case - if it's food they'll hold on, if it's defensive they'll probably go into a defensive pose first, then strike qucikly and go back again.

Corns may think you're food if you've just touched mice/rats/lizards - so wash your hands before handling them.

It sounds to me like your corn is scared. This is understandable as he's just moved house.

Most people suggest that you leave a corn alone for 4-7 days after getting them so they can get used to their surroundings. Then handle them afterwards. It will take time for them to get used to you.

After this you can try putting an item of your worn clothing in the vivarium so the snakes gets used to your smell. You can try picking him up from the side not the top so he doesn't think that you are a predator .... I'm sure other people can contribute more ....

Although each corn will vary, they are generally very dosile. He's more than likely just a bit scared. Let him settle, have patience and he'll probably be fine!

HTH

whiffin
11-18-2002, 11:09 AM
Whoops - I must have been typing my reply at the same time as you Axe :(

Axe
11-18-2002, 02:09 PM
lol, yup, timestamp is only 2 minutes apart, hehe.

Good suggestion on the clothing though. I'll have to try that with my psycho :)

whiffin
11-18-2002, 02:18 PM
It worked with Suzy :D

Katie
11-20-2002, 04:43 AM
I'm also the proud owner of a psycho biter but as he is a hatchling, it's not a big deal. It doesn't hurt much (sometimes not at all, depending on his aim! lol). I just keep handling him and let him know that I'm not going to let him go just cause he bites me. He's calmed a bit since I got him so I assume this is working, perhaps just a little more slowly than I would like. The clothing thing is a good idea, I think I'll try that, see if it helps.

Kaz
11-25-2002, 02:32 PM
I had a cornsnake given to me and at first every attempt to handle him ended with a bite! I persevered (excuse spelling) and picked him up every three or four days with gloves on, which helped my confidence, and now after three years he is still touchy and will pull his head back and rattle his tail, but I can pick him up without a bite.

All I can recommend is that you try try try and try again if you really want to keep the snake, but if you are worried that you cannot carry on, I would take the snake back because it will not happen straight away, it will take time and patience.

SB Suz
12-05-2002, 07:53 PM
When I got my cornsnake Rosey, the pet store warned me that young snakes bite a lot because they are prey to a lot of creatures and are consequently defensive bitters when they are young. They gave me the speach about "If she bites you, keep holding her, don't drop her, and don't let her think biting is a solution," but she's never bitten me once. (knock on wood.) So it isn't nessisarily an indication that your snake has been, or will always be a bitter. I've found that a lot of times pet store clerks have no idea what they are talking about, some do, but some really have no clue.

Rosey is the first snake I've ever had. I was a little nervous about handling her at first, and it took a while for both of us to get comfortable with eachother.

For me - cotton gloves worked really well for several reasons.

1) I put the gloves in her cage so she'd be used to seeing them and they'd be a familiar sight to her, 2) she'd be used to my sent and would learn that I'm safe, and 3) the gloves helped calm my first-snake-owner fears of being bitten.

I agree with the comments about leaving them alone for the first few days to get adjusted to their new homes. In retrospect, I wish I would have done that. I didn't do this and my poor little hatchling regergitated her first feeding.

After they get used to their new home, try handling them with the gloves the first few times... then take off one... then both of them.

I think that is the most gradual way I can think of getting a new snake used to being handled.

It worked for us at least.

- Suz

13mur 6
12-08-2002, 03:11 PM
Hey all,
Here's my first post, and hopefully a helpful one. When I handle any of my snakes I wash my hands with Dial Antibacterial hand soap. It's got quite a strong and noticeable odor (which I think my snakes know by now), and it helps to work well as offering something to remember for the snake. After handling them for months I'm sometimes able to change soaps and they seem to notice the change but not in a violent manner. Okies, hope that helps.

-13mur 6

UTWolfe
12-09-2002, 05:52 PM
One thing I rarely see mentioned is body temperature. Snakes are very sensetive to your body heat. My 6 year old daughter loves to play with my corns when i take them out. Given the fact that she is a small child her body temp in her hands is relatively cooler and the snakes react to that. I have learned to check her hands and see how warm they are and if they are to cold i have her wash them in warm water. It helps alot. I also like this practice because i live in a typically cooler enviroment. Warm the hands and the snakes love to be held to absord the extra body heat. Granted this won't work in warmer climates and i have not had the opportunity to test this in the opposite direction, but i believe it make work to cool your hands a bit in warmer climates. Giving the snake a temperature that would be what they were looking for in nature to be comfortable. I also make it a point to let my snakes interact with my other pets. Dog and cat(as long as the feline is not to frisky). Both have learned the smells of all the family (pets included) except for my squemish wife and have never once bitten anyone. Sometimes they are skittish but that passes with time. I feed my snakes by hand most of the time and there has never been a mistake on what is food and what is not. There are alot of things I do differently but as with any pet I cater myself to the pets needs and desires. Play with them often and be aware of what they are trying to tell you. One last thing, handle your snakes as often as possible. It is a good way to inspect the physical health. I know my snakes bodies well and the snakes know me. No confusion. With babies it takes time and the more time the better. This is one reason i will not keep more snakes than i can treat in such a manner. Now if i can only win the lottery so i can have TONS of snakes and spend all day taking care of them.

Maybe this will help Maybe not. Hope it does.