PDA

View Full Version : Curious: swallowing thermostat probe?

Curious: swallowing thermostat probe?

Cegninedorf
08-25-2006, 01:01 AM
I tried searching on this (here & Google), and to no avail (thankfully enough), so I'm guessing that this hasn't been a problem...but still, me being a neurotic Virgo, I worry: has anyone ever heard of or had problems with a snake ingesting the thermostat probe? I'm figuring that it'd have to be a really desperate snake to try something like that as the probe smells nothing like dinner & certainly doesn't wiggle, but still...

How do you make it safe for the probe to be in the tank with your snake?

Thanks...:)
Christina

Taceas
08-25-2006, 02:15 AM
I'm sure anything is possible when you get right down to it. But I would think that if it doesn't smell like food, they won't pay it no mind.

I've got my thermostat probe duct taped to the back wall of the tub so it doesn't come loose when I'm moving that tub around.

I've got the probe of my thermometer held down with a suction cup that has the nub end, split and has a "circular groove" for the cord. It too is suction cupped to the wall and isn't loose in the tub.

Besides, they'd swallow it so far and never get anywhere, so I'm sure they'd regurge it back up.

Cegninedorf
08-25-2006, 02:35 AM
That all sounds wonderful to me...:) Thanks for even considering to answer my paranoid question. :)

Taceas
08-25-2006, 02:50 AM
No problem. ;)

Although I did have a corn in one of my Barr's cages, they have a drop down front door. I went to feed her and when I closed the door I didn't notice the tail to the mouse in the door jamb, and closed it. It's a pretty tight fit, and it was an adult mouse so the tail was strong.

I came back an hour later to see her face plastered to the plexiglass and her mouth open like she was smooching the door, I quickly noticed the tail and opened the door, releasing it. She swallowed it down like normal. I felt like a schmuck though. :rolleyes:

Llewella
08-25-2006, 07:15 AM
I guess I'm a little paranoid too, it also came up into my mind a couple of times.

And I dont want to use ducktape inside a viv or tub, I know what ducktape can do to a snake.