PDA

View Full Version : Serious Question on The differences between Snows and Bubblegum snows.

Serious Question on The differences between Snows and Bubblegum snows.

UTWolfe
11-21-2002, 04:20 PM
Can someone explain this please.

Darin Chappell
11-21-2002, 04:54 PM
Bubblegum snows are simply those that are exceptionally high in their pink content, even as adults. Hypomelanistic corns are very "bubblegum-esque," but Don Soderberg has consistantly been calling them coral snows, and I personally like that name better. Motley snows (like mine) also often show a lot of pink (maybe because of that psuedo-hypo effect often seen in motley?), and most bubblegum snows I've seen were actually motley snow corns.

At any rate, it is the elevated pink that brings about the "bubblegum" moniker, but, other than the hypo and motley instances mentioned above, I don't think "bubblegum" can be classified as a morph . . .just more of a description.

Darin Chappell
11-21-2002, 04:58 PM
In fact, here is a pic of my '00 1.0 motley snow corn. I think many would call him a bubblegum snow from his coloration.

http://gallery.pethobbyist.com/data/11826goodfeeders20004-med.jpg

;)

UTWolfe
11-21-2002, 05:06 PM
This is rather interesting. There is an extreme price difference in them. Snows generally 30+ those that claim to be bubblegum's 100-175+.

more opinions please

Darin Chappell
11-21-2002, 05:09 PM
UT,

You find someone willing to pay $175.00 for a bubblegum snow corn, you just send 'em my way . . .you hear?

:D

Mare
11-21-2002, 07:46 PM
Stop that! You are such a tease! You know I love that snake!

Actually, I have 5 snows ranging in age from hatchling to almost 3 years old. The variance in coloration is amazing. I never thought much of this morph till I saw the first one I bought in person and fell in love...

My first... My oldest female was sold to me as a bubblegum. She is a very pretty subtle pink ground color with lighter pink/white saddles. She has lemon yellow ventral checkers and a very nice golden wash along her neck and side about 1/3 the way down. She is a snake that is best appreciated up close and in natural light. I think she is stunning.

After seeing a picture of a Hypo snow (aka Coral Snow) male on the KS corn forum that Amanda owns, I called Don and asked if he had any... lucky me, he did. I got a hatchling male and female from him. The male looks very different from the female and most other snow hatchlings I have seen. He is a very orangy-pink (coral) color with distinct white patterning. I am really looking forward to seeing him develop. The female is a very nice, very pink snow hatchling with a nicely contrasting very white pattern. She is definately more pink than the average snow hatchling. Don said that it is very common in this strain of snows for the males to be much more intensly colored than the females.

My yearling pair are very nice. I got them from Jason and Lori Kuta. The male is very pink and white. Nothing muted about him. He, too, has the yellow ventral checkers and yellow along his neck, chin and some on his head. The female is what I consider to be a typical snow corn. She is basically a white snake with very pale yellowish pattern. She is VERY pretty, but I can imagine where a photo would not do her justice. Of course, I STILL can't get pictures that are worth posting so it's a moot point LOL.

I, too, have noticed that pricing is across the board on snows. I can only assume why that is. First, I think they became such a common morph, sort of like Amel, and most people were grappling for the newer morphs so the prices came way down. Then, I think a few people realized that there was some predictability in the color variances of the snows and decided to price them accordingly. Look at the prices of the striped snows. Wow! Are they worth it? That is totally up to the buyer. I know that I paid significantly more for the hypo snow hatchlings than I would have paid for "regular" snows. It was worth it to me.

Oh well... Love to hear some experienced opinions about this morph so talk on!

Mare

Rainey
11-22-2002, 12:32 PM
Darrin,

If my snow motley turns out like that I will be on top of the world! That is such a nice picture!

Jaremy
11-27-2002, 09:07 PM
I have seen several adult "bubblegum" corns that are a VERY VERY pink color. They are owned by a breeder in WI. The only problem is that my friends and I have purchased several of these and they are not as pink as the adults. The pink color is extremely variable and only one or two come out as pink as the parents. Now, the others are pinker than your average snow but they are not OH MY GOD that is PINK like their parents.

Jaremy
11-29-2002, 10:44 PM
Nice Pics! I will post some pics of a green spot bubble gum very soon!

Jaremy
11-30-2002, 10:26 PM
Here is the pic as promised. He is a yearling green spot bubblegum. He is very feisty and won't tame down. He doesn't bite he is just kind of wacky!

Gregg
12-01-2002, 11:55 AM
That's one nice snow corn you have there, Jaremy. Very pretty.

I don't know, since I've not spent years breeding snow corns, but I'm willing to bet that there is a great deal of variation in possible phenotypes within a single clutch of snows. My point being that it would be hard to call snows by any other name but snows.
"Bubblegum." "Green-Blotch." Who knows until they are grown?

But then, I don't know for sure. Here is a picture of one of my snows whoes mamma was a "Yellow-Green Blotch" and whoes daddy was a "Beige-Pink Blotch:"

Jaremy
12-02-2002, 08:18 PM
Gregg,
Thats a nice lookin' snow you have too. With this trait being so variable I am looking forward to breeding them.

UTWolfe
12-03-2002, 01:58 PM
wow nice pics.

What resolution are you taking them at if you are using a digital camera. I want to get a few good shots of my snows.

I guess my yearling is a green blotched yellow pok-ed dotted somthing-er other. My snow. lol.

Nice posts

Rainey
12-03-2002, 02:17 PM
I was wondering if maybe the variance in colors in snows has anything to do with the variance in color with anerys? You see many different shades of Anerys. So would it have anything to do with the anery gene?

Gregg
12-03-2002, 08:10 PM
Rainey,

I think, with the many variations of amelanistic, that one could raise that same question regarding those morphs. In fact, there may be more variety in amelanistic than anerythristic, but I'm going on photos and listed types only.

UTWolfe,

I use a Sony Mavica (MVC-FD100). Image size is set at 1280 x 960. The focus is set on macro. I use available lighting coming in from a south facing French door and the Sterilite lids as fills. I hope that helps.

Jaremy
12-03-2002, 08:29 PM
For my pic I used a Nikon CollPix 4500 and used the macro setting. Everything else on the camera was set on auto. Here is another pic.

Rainey
12-03-2002, 08:51 PM
I wasn't even considering the amelanistic. Partially because I have been thinking alot about anerythrism lately. With the huge variety in each gene, that would account for the variance in the snows probably

Gregg
12-03-2002, 10:33 PM
Yeah, the two together could account for a lot of variation, perhaps.

UTWolfe
12-04-2002, 12:39 PM
wow nice close up shot. the digital camera i have is an old one i got from a friend for free. takes great pictures but really lowsey close ups.

Really nice thoughts on the color variations. I have been thinking about these possiblities as well.

UTWolfe
12-05-2002, 06:48 PM
I actually got a good head shot last night of my yearling.

Moofasa!