PDA

View Full Version : species divisions

species divisions

Elaphe_Mo
11-25-2002, 10:48 AM
I just read the latest herp digest (www.herpdigest.org), and there is a mention of a recent article in the journal Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution about corn snakes. I looked up and read the article (Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 25 (Dec 2002) p465-476) and it is quite interesting. I just wanted to stir up some thoughts here, I know the discussion of intergrade v. hybrid comes up a lot. The author of this article used mitochondrial DNA analysis and called for 3 distinct species to be determined, corn snake (E guttata), great plains rat snake (E emori) and a new species E. slowinskii, http://www.cnah.org/detail.asp?id=1235
which seems to be what we know and love as the Kisatchie corn. Just some food for thought...

Ken Harbart
11-25-2002, 08:28 PM
Quite honestly, I don't see Burbink's claim being widely accepted anytime soon. His last revision of the Elaphe obsoleta complex wasn't exactly greeted with open arms by his peers.

The common name he proposes for his new species is also problematic. It's a faux pas to use a surname as a common name when a more descriptive or widely used name already exists.

Elaphe_Mo
11-26-2002, 09:05 AM
yeah I was kinda wondering about that with the common name. The paper said that there was no previously existing common name for that subgroup of corns. I am interested in seeing how this plays out. Personally I was just happy to be able to read a genetics article on corn snakes from a journal I have access to.

Ken Harbart
11-26-2002, 11:17 PM
It seems that Burbink's peers aren't being especially kind in their critiques of his revision. The most common term I'm hearing/reading is "nonsense", and it's being viewed as somewhat of a joke in the realm of academic herpetology.

Elaphe_Mo
11-27-2002, 09:20 AM
Ken, what academic journal(s) would be best to look at for herpetology topics? I am an ecologist/environmental scientist and I doubt we'd have much here in our library (mostly it would be about toxin accumulation in amphibians I bet), but I'd love to look if you have any suggestions.

Thanks!