PDA

View Full Version : Aged Corn Snake, stopped eating and starting to look ill.

Aged Corn Snake, stopped eating and starting to look ill.

juve15
09-04-2006, 11:05 PM
My albino corn snake Endo 2 has failed to eat his 3 full grown frozen mice on his last 2 feedings. Also, he has been shedding more than normal. On top of this his tail is beginning to look discolored. He is approximately 10 years old and I think he may be dying? Please help.

Rorryy
09-04-2006, 11:36 PM
Oh! My oldest is only a yearling so I have no experienced advice to offer, but I have my fingers crossed for you and your Endo.

Angela

Tula_Montage
09-05-2006, 09:55 AM
How often are you feeding him these mice!!! Adults usually only need fed ONE adult mouse or small rat every 10 - 14 days, of course this depends on the snakes metabolism gender and size.

He is probably not eating due to being over fed, and shedding more often if he is piling on the gramms.

bitsy
09-05-2006, 12:04 PM
Hi there.

Firstly, 10 years isn't old for a Corn. 15 years is the average lifespan in captivity these days. He should be in the prime of his life.

And three mice in one sitting! Phew, that's a meal and a half for any Corn. One adult mouse every 10-14 days is the standard regime, as Tula mentioned. How often are you feeding?

Shedding more than usual, does indicate a health problem of some sort. The tip of the tail discolouring is probably the end of a retained shed. If left untreated this could cause him to lose the tip of his tail and in an extreme case, might lead to blood poisoning and death if not dealt with. The shedding could be related to this.

I wouldn't muck about with damp hides trying to deal with it. Go with your gut - if you think something is seriously wrong, then it most probably is. Get your fella to a reptile vet as soon as possible.