PDA

View Full Version : Another one of those new baby is not eating posts.

Another one of those new baby is not eating posts.

antsterr
09-07-2006, 02:39 AM
I know this is covered in the FAQ and has been talked about a lot lately but I'd like to ask a few questions that I've been having trouble finding answers to.

About how long can a baby corn, 2 months old, go with out food before one should start to worry? I've had this snake for a week and a half and realized I was freaking out about it not eating. I know that 11 days is nothing to worry about. I'm just worried that this snake has no eating instinct or something silly. I purchased it from a breeder who seemed to know an awful lot and gave me it's full genetic history and such. The thing was I so excited I forgot to ask a few questions, like how it had been eating. So far it's refused F/T, Live, F/T with it's brains squished out, Chicken scent and being locked up all night with F/T live and brained pinkies. the brains seemed to get it's attention a bit but not for very long. Now I'm thinking I've probably tried to hard and should just give it more time. It was much smaller than the blizzard that I also got with it that hatched on the same day so that makes me suspect it may have been a trouble feeder before I bought it. It did poop once after I got it home so it has been eating at some point. It's the most active baby corn I've ever had (the first problem feeder to, hence the freaking out). I kind of wonder if it's hunting for food and is just to silly to realize that pinky mice are food.
I guess I should just not worry for now. But how long should one wait before you start to worry?

antsterr
09-07-2006, 02:41 AM
oh, one more question. what are signs that a snake is starving? moving around lots probably isn't one of them.

diamondlil
09-07-2006, 05:31 AM
The general condition of the snake is a good clue, but I weigh mine with digital scales once a month so I know for certain how they are progressing.
Here's a picture showing how skinny Lil was when she was ill
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e91/nurseyj9/PHTO0011.jpg
You can see her spine clearly.
I would suggest that you don't try feeding more than once a week, as repeated attempts can just stress the snake more and reinforce non-feeding. I made that mistake myself, and was helped to see sense by people on here in my early days.

Plissken
09-07-2006, 05:32 AM
So far it's refused F/T, Live, F/T with it's brains squished out, Chicken scent and being locked up all night with F/T live and brained pinkies

Did you try all those feedings seperately, within 11 days? If you've tried to feed it 5 times in under a fortnight, you should be aware that repeated attempts will stress the snake. Just try once a week.

If the snake is moving around excessively he may be hungry - mine are often active before feeding day as they are out looking for food - but your snake is hardly going to be starving just yet. ;)

antsterr
09-07-2006, 01:59 PM
Thanks. I've probably tried about 4 times total. I'll just leave it for a week and try again with a brained pinky.

DavidM
09-07-2006, 05:48 PM
I had a few hatchlings last year which never managed to feed. They lasted three months. So you needn't worry about a gap of a few weeks before your new purchase gets used to your conditions, assuming it was eating for the breeder.

If, on the other hand, you've been sold a non-feeder (and the poo is not conclusive evidence of feeding outside the egg), then it's time to worry, I'm afraid, after two months.

David

janew
09-07-2006, 07:00 PM
I would advise you to contact the breeder in the first instance! They might well be able to give you some good advice - they know the snake, how it has been feeding, and they should be able to help you sort it out before it becomes a problem.

I know if it was one of mine that I'd sold, I'd want to know so I could help!

vanderkm
09-08-2006, 02:25 PM
Agree with comments that you should contact the breeder - they should be happy to provide details on what it was eating before you got it and give some further advice. It is possible that it is going into a shed cycle and that, combined with the stress of travel to and from a show is what is preventing it from feeding now. It can be hard to distinguish the 'blue' phase on some lighter colored hatchlings. The hyperactivity is not suggestive of a shed phase though - you will also want to make sure that your temperature range is correct and the hatchling has a variety of hides to feel secure at both warm and cooler ends of the cage. It is best that they are housed alone so that the stress of being with another snake doesn't put them off of eating.

good luck with the little one and with getting more information from the breeder,

mary v.

vietmata
05-21-2008, 02:48 PM
my snake just got out of a not eating situation it finally ate after 1 month.i tryed a variety of stuff to get her to eat try live pinkys give ur snake an instinct to kill then mabe ull have luck.if not try braining after.if it still dosent eat try next week.