PDA

View Full Version : feeding rats (small)

feeding rats (small)

serpentina
09-07-2006, 11:27 PM
I fed my corn snake a rat pinky tonight. He took it no problem but, I was wondering if this is OK? He was eating fuzzy mice and they seemed too small (especially this batch from Petco). I had some leftover (not old) rat pinkies that I feed to my BP. I decided to try it and see if he would take it. Should I go back to mice for him? Do the rats have enough calcium in their bones (being so small) or not? I do not want to do anything that isn't as healthy for my corn.

Bobo's Mama
09-07-2006, 11:45 PM
Rats are fine for corns. I feed mine both, switching back and forth between mice and rats. A small rat pinky is about the same as a mouse fuzzy. Then a medium rat pinky is about like a hopper, and so on.

Susielea
09-09-2006, 06:05 PM
I agree with Bobo's Mama as I feed my corns both. I also know a breeder over here that has found that when he feeds his breeding females a higher proportion of rat pups than mice, they produce more eggs with a higher fertility rate so maybe there's a link.

sumguy
09-11-2006, 07:23 PM
my adult corns get rat weanlings of proper size, subadults get pups. Occasionally switch up with mice or chicks.

sumguy
09-11-2006, 07:31 PM
my adult corns get rat weanlings of proper size, subadults get pups. Occasionally switch up with mice or chicks.

snakemanone
09-12-2006, 02:08 PM
beware feeding rat to your corns as once they get a liking for them they often refuse anything else

NI GUY
09-13-2006, 04:44 PM
A lot of people say rats contain far more nutrition than mice.I certainly see it in my bp's,the steady rat eaters grow faster.My corns that are ready for them get them asap.I also find there not out looking for food compared to eating a sm mouse or hopper.They even look meatier.