• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

What do you do with 'leftovers'

What do you do with leftover food items?

• Flush

Votes: 12 19.0%
  • Put them in the themgarbage

Votes: 22 34.9%
  • Refreeze them

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Give them to a different snake

Votes: 18 28.6%
  • Other

Votes: 10 15.9%

• Total voters

ghosthousecorns

I flushed 8 f/t pinkies this morning, I think most of the snakes were in shed and they were not hungry, so they just pooped all over them. After sitting overnight they were so rank I almost threw up.
If a food item is refused and it is still fresh I will sometimes just offer it to a clutchmate. But if it's been sitting for a while I get rid of it. I usually flush them so my garbage doesn't get too stinky. Thought I would post a poll and see how others deal with the little f/t corpses when a snake doesn't want to eat them.
Sorry for the typo, it's 'put them in the garbage' I can't seem to edit...

The only time that I ever flush a feeder is when I offered it to a hatchling and it sits too long. And yeah, if it's overnight, the smell usually makes me want to hurl.
Other than that, I have more than enough snakes that are happy to take the rejected food.

Flush...I don't have any other snakes to feed it to ;) And I agree, they do small a bit rancid after a night in an 80 degree tank...

Well I'm glad I have company in the sensitive stomach department. I was really gagging this morning, especially trying to knock the ones that had poop all over them out of the deli cup and into the toilet. Good thing my stomach was empty or I would have tossed my cookies :puke01:

Pinkies I usually won't feed to anyone else because they're usually way too stinky. If it's anything bigger I'll try to feed to one of the other snakes that might need a bit extra or could just use a little more (I have one female that still needs to gain weight so I'll offer her everything). I really hate to have things go to waste because I see it as throwing money away to some extent (not a lot every week but if I have 4 or 5 adults refuse for some reason that's a little bit of money which with 50 snakes can add up week to week).

~Katie

If they are not too big, there is 9 out of 10 times a snake willing to play the role of garbage disposal. With the amount of snakes I own, it does not get really nasty cost wise. Besides that, I know most of them well enough to see when I'd better not offer food because of shed coming in. I can imagine with a fairly larger amount and less pet like 'relations' with the snakes, refusals happen ofter.

I use Herpcare software since a couple of weeks, and the moment I see a snake is in blue, I link it to a 'blue' feeding scheme, meaning it does not pop up for feeding untill I relink it to the normal scheme after shedding. This helped me prevent the 'Oops, I forgot this one is in blue' left overs.

The pinky's I use are not stinky after 1 night in a viv.... :shrugs: I do place them in the cooler part and at night there is no heating, maybe that's why?

My turtle has turned out to be the moose dusty bin... I generally have excellent feeders snake wise and don't get that many leftovers... only if i offer multiple mooses i will have leftovers.

I will more often than not feed to a different snake as a snack, but then again since the turtle loves them he should get in on the action :)

I voted "other".

Anything smaller than an adult goes to my beardies - they have no pride. Adult mice and rat pups or larger are refrozen once; Glutton - my sunglow that thinks she's a kingsnake - will take them, no questions asked.

regards,
jazz

Blutengel said:
Never knew beardies would eat any mouse larger then a pinky.... do they chew on it?
Yep - matter of fact, Rose (my female) just dined on three fuzzies today that were leftover from Friday night's feeding. They're served up on tongs, and she's "lured" to her basking area to avoid any contact with substrate. Fuzzies are about a 4-chomps-and-swallow deal for her.

As an aside, beardie poop is normally stanky, but two days after a rodent feeding, it's just plain hideous. Pee, Ewe. :cool:

regards,
jazz

I have a female corn that will usually eat anything no matter what the size (although she's not quite sure what to do with pinks). She's the one that needs to plump up again before brumation. We used to have the best mouse disposal in our savannah monitor. She would eat anything that was edible. Since we adopted her out we have to rely on our kingsnakes and the one corn.

~Katie

jazzgeek said:
Yep - matter of fact, Rose (my female) just dined on three fuzzies today that were leftover from Friday night's feeding. They're served up on tongs, and she's "lured" to her basking area to avoid any contact with substrate. Fuzzies are about a 4-chomps-and-swallow deal for her.

As an aside, beardie poop is normally stanky, but two days after a rodent feeding, it's just plain hideous. Pee, Ewe. :cool:

regards,
jazz

:rofl: my garbage bin yellow ratsnake is always hesitant about eating pinky's, like she thinks prey NEEDS to have fur! :rofl:

well.. i second the beardie thing.. since i dont leave any of my snakes with prey over 6 hours.. there never "rank" and my beardie has never refused a free meal..

when i have adults.. i cut them into 3 peices and serve them up (not for the weak at heart)

Since there's a field right behind our house, I just toss them out into the field. The crows are usually there in about 5 minutes. :p

JasonGranger said:
Since there's a field right behind our house, I just toss them out into the field. The crows are usually there in about 5 minutes. :p
When we were in PA I used to throw them out in our side yard. There were a ton of outdoor cats that would come around, partly from food like that and partly because we were one of the only houses in the neighborhood without dogs outside.

~Katie

Howdy!
I usually leave them overnight on the cool end so they don't get stinky, but I still toss them in the garbage if they're uneaten in the morning.
If I've dethawed too many out, like when I'm seeing about upsizing, and I have a couple of fussy eaters, then my adult king snake Sauraman (aka Mr. Stinky) gets extra snacks. lol

Big Jake the King Snake gets all the leftovers. Well, sometimes I feed in an order that a snake that may refuse has someone else that eats the same size lined up after him, but usually Jake just gets the leftovers. I only give most snakes 30 minutes to decide- then they're done till the next scheduled feeding.

Depending on the size of the leftovers they go to numerous clients...my caimen, kings or my snapping turtle. Pretty much only pinks get 'wasted' around here as they are usually too stinky to refeed.

A refused mouse from the corns goes to the MBK ... she's my rubbish bin. I imagine as they grow the ever-hungry womas will take on some of this responsibility too. With the corns, most of them strike and the ones that don't get the mouse left on the cooler side of the tub so that they're not going nasty overnight.

The royals don't tend to get rats left in with them - they're just dangled in there. If they refuse, they get offered to another royal, and if they're still refused, they go to the cats.

I think pinkies look and smell disgusting after a night in a hatchling tub, but my cats think otherwise, and queue up waiting for me to hand them out! So after hatchling feeding night, any leftovers go straight to the cats.

Old thread, but since it's been brought up and replied to I figured I'd give my thoughts too :)

Back