PDA

View Full Version : A little worried...

A little worried...

Madame
09-18-2006, 08:26 PM
I brought home my snake on August 20th (she was born in July and had eaten at least 3 times and was a very good eater with the breeder). Since then she has only eaten twice. It took her to shed before she ate the first time, and then the second time she refused the first try so it was 9 days between the feedings. Again, it's been 9 days and she's completely ignoring the pinky... Although she has eaten in the past so she might just be picky, I think she's a bit on the skinny side. For such a young snake, is this ok? As in, will she be fine and I don't have to worry?

Also, the other day she seemed dull but she never went into blue phase. Could I have just missed it and she's in shed again? Seems a bit early to me though.

MegF.
09-19-2006, 12:04 AM
Babies can she about every 30 days and I have a few that have always refused food in what I call the "pre-blue" stage. That's when they start to get dull looking but aren't completely blue. This means for approximately 2 weeks before shed, mine quit eating. It's possible yours is similar. You might try a live pinky and see if that gives her a jumpstart.

Madame
09-19-2006, 07:53 AM
But she's not dull anymore though, that's what I'm confused about. But, I never saw her go into blue either. When she was in shed last time it was really obvious.

But she refused again last night so now it's at 10 days without food and 9 days before that...

Should I worry that she's not getting enough food?

MegF.
09-19-2006, 08:24 AM
Only try feeding every 4 or 5 days not every day. They go quite a long time without food. I have one hatchling out of my clutch that has only taken 2 mouse tails (one force fed) since it hatched in July. It's still around. I would try live and see if she'll take a live pinky. I would also try putting her in a dark place such as a box or something. I have one that will only eat when her container is put into a dark box.

antsterr
09-19-2006, 01:08 PM
I'm not sure all the methods you've tried but;
Try putting it in a small yogert container or paper bag with the pinky overnight, someware it can't ignore the pinky.
Try cutting the pinkies skin or cut it's head open and expose the brain, some babies love the smell of pinky brain.
Try live, there is no danger of feeding a toothless mouse live and a live mouse is usually much more tempting to a baby snake.

Rakes
09-19-2006, 03:02 PM
I agree with what has been and you might make sure the Temperature (about 80-85)is high enough in one end of the container to allow digestion and to stimulate the snake to want to eat......Good luck

Madame
09-19-2006, 04:32 PM
Thanks, but all the suggestions I already do. (And I usually try every second day, but I'll wait a couple more like you say.)

I'm glad I don't have to worry that much, but knowing me I still will be ^^'