PDA

View Full Version : loss of colour/ milky eyes

loss of colour/ milky eyes

webber
09-19-2006, 05:18 AM
Originally when i first purchased my corn, he had reaaly bright colours and was really active outside his enclosure.2 weeks later,after he has benn feed twice on frozen mice that he has taken an kept down straight away he seems to have lost his brightness to a much less DULL colour.Looking at his eyes they are really milky and when i get him out of the enclosure he is really docile...Bit concerned as this is my first snake.

Ssthisto
09-19-2006, 05:33 AM
Congratulations, your snake is growing - the milky eyes and dull colours say he's coming up to a shed. His eyes will go clear again before he sheds, however - don't jump to the conclusion that he's eaten it or something like I did the first time my Jasper shed :) A couple of days after his eyes go clear again you'll find the shed skin in the cage - check it to make sure it's got both eye caps and check his tailtip to make sure that's shed properly too.

Because shedding is hard work, he may also become very calm - or more stroppy, in some cases, because they can't see as well.

webber
09-19-2006, 05:38 AM
Thanks for the reply.Do i have to do anything to the temp and do i still feed him on his weekly feeding day?

Ssthisto
09-19-2006, 05:44 AM
I might add a damp-hide box (a plastic box with a hole in the lid, filled with moist vermiculite, peat or moss) into his cage so that it will be easier for him to shed.

I haven't ever changed the temperatures when mine are coming up for sheds.

If his feeding day comes before he's actually shed, I might be inclined to wait until after he's shed to feed him (a few extra days won't hurt him). Sometimes shedding can make them regurgitate, since it's hard work to do (and a regurgitation inside a shed skin is horribly smelly and nasty to clean up) - and sometimes a snake in shed isn't interested in the food either.

Plissken
09-19-2006, 11:58 AM
Yep, second what Ssthisto said... your snake is shedding :)

As to your feeding question, what I do is, I judge by how far in to the cycle they are. If they're in blue (milky eyes phase) I feed them because they tend to have digested by the time they actually start the shed... if their eyes have cleared up I don't feed. I don't want them shedding while there's a lump in them... I rather irrationally worry they might get stuck or something, LOL.