PDA

View Full Version : Gray Scales?

Gray Scales?

jennrosefx
09-26-2006, 01:46 AM
Pumpkin has always had a few random gray splotches on some of her "border" scales. I've noticed as she's aged, she's developed a few more with past sheds. I'm sure it's a pigmentation thing...as the scales seem perfectly healthy and it always seems to be were black would normally be.

I'm not worried about it or anything (unless I should be, hehehehe)...and know that corns do go through minor to major color changes with age. I was just curious how common it is for a normal to develope gray scales here and there?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/ghoulgurl/grayscale.jpg

gnarhimself
09-26-2006, 03:15 AM
Hi Jenn

I have a normal (unproven so far),and he's got the same thing going on with some of his scales,I was also told that its a pigmentation thing,and that I shouldnt worry,you said yours has grey scales where the black would normally be,mine has some of these all over,not just where the black would be..WEIRD :shrugs:

Mary-Beth
09-26-2006, 08:27 AM
My normal has small blue-grey patches all over him, but mostly on his sides. Sorry I can't get a pic, the combination of bad photographer and cheap camera = no close ups. :rolleyes:

Mary-Beth
09-26-2006, 08:39 AM
Well, I tried. lol
The flash made it look light gray.

Green Bean
09-26-2006, 08:43 AM
Gray hairs....er...scales? Heehee sorry I couldn't resist. I've noticed that too in other pictures of corns. Always wondered what it was. Sorry I can't help you with an answer/cause.

sarah s
09-26-2006, 10:51 AM
My amel has grey scales where her border markings would be black as well. I very much suspecst its a pigment thing but would be nice to be reasured.

Joolz68
09-26-2006, 10:20 PM
Gray hairs....er...scales?
I vote similar to gray hairs in humans.

jennrosefx
09-26-2006, 11:18 PM
I vote similar to gray hairs in humans.

She's only about 2 1/2...and she had them at 1. Don't think that's the case.

Paradox
09-27-2006, 01:35 AM
Mine has a few, and he's only a couple of months...So I don't think it's because he's getting old... ;) I'd like to know the cause too...

sarah s
09-27-2006, 06:58 AM
Mmm the grey hair thing can and does happen in young people as well its not an age thing. It happens when the bits in the root cells that make the hair pigment die stop working if I remeber correctly. On my amel all the scales that would be black are grey which makes me think this is a reduction of pigment thing in these snakes. Maybe snake scales can also stop being made with the pigment as well as hair and thats whats going on with these snakes.

TylerW
11-23-2006, 04:50 PM
its probably eather ripped off scales or the begining of scale rot

lefty_mussolini
11-23-2006, 05:13 PM
its probably eather ripped off scales or the begining of scale rot
Ummmm.... wut? :shrugs: