PDA

View Full Version : So.. What's next?

So.. What's next?

ChaseC5
09-27-2006, 02:29 AM
Hey everyone! Well I have had my snake for about 8 months now, he was born August of 2005, So he is about a year old.
Anyways I have been feeding Melvin two fuzzies every Sunday for the past 3 months maybe, and last Sunday when I fed him his two fuzzies there really wasn't any bump in his stomache (as to where the fuzzies should be.) So I came up with either two things, A)They might have been small fuzzies? or B) Is it time to move to the next step of feeding mice?

So Im curious what is after "Fuzzies"? and should I keep feeding him them for a while longer? Or How do I know when to move to the "next-step mouse."

Thanks for your time!

sbourget
09-27-2006, 03:24 AM
You should be feeding a food item that is about 1.5X the largest girth of the snake. After fuzzies are crawlers, then hoppers, then weanlings, then sub-adults, then adults. At a year old he should be beyond fuzzies now, though it all depends on the width of the snake.

galofgrace
09-27-2006, 04:48 PM
Yeah, one of my snakes is a year old, and he's on small mice. He got a late start with eating, and so isn't that big, so I'm sure you could move up a size now. Good luck.

BeckyG
09-27-2006, 05:53 PM
You should be feeding a food item that is about 1.5X the largest girth of the snake. After fuzzies are crawlers, then hoppers, then weanlings, then sub-adults, then adults. At a year old he should be beyond fuzzies now, though it all depends on the width of the snake.

It depends on where you buy the mice. Some places consider fuzzies and crawlers the same size. Next would be hoppers. And I don't like blanket generalizations that year old snakes should be beyond fuzzies. I have two yearlings, and one is on fuzzies and the other is still on pinkies. The one on pinkies has issues, though, so I wouldn't consider that normal.

ChaseC5
09-27-2006, 06:37 PM
Awesome! Thanks for the help! Maybe I'll try once more with the fuzzies and see if there's no lump again, and if there isn't I'll move up to the next size.
Thanks again!