PDA

View Full Version : liquid growth

liquid growth

Tharding
12-02-2002, 06:08 PM
My corn has a liquid growth about the size of a quarter about two thirds down his body on the left side. He is an adult (6 Years) and the growth is not noticeable unless you know to look for it. It is not getting any bigger and does not seem to bother the snake if it is touched on the area. No noticeable changes in behavior and shedding does not seem to impact it.

I first noticed this area about 3 months ago.

Is this something to get some help from a vet on or just ride it out until it bothers the Corn? Any help out there?

Thanks
Tom

bmm
12-02-2002, 06:50 PM
What do you mean by "liquid growth" ?

If you mean a blister, then I would check a couple of things. For one, your humidity may be causing a problem called Blister Disease. Certain pathogens can grow in too much humidity and cause this (if thats what this is) You can treat a problem like that by keeping the cage warm and dry (no misting etc but water dish as always) and use newspaper for substrate until it clears. Use betadine or iodine on the affected area this may help.

But is it a blister? Could it be a burn? Is it just a lump...so it could be a tumour? There are too many variables to know exactly whats going on. You might want to make a vet trip.

bmm

Tharding
12-02-2002, 07:59 PM
Based on the descriptions you gave, I would lean more toward the tumor idea--but again, its not a hard tumor--it feels as if it has liquid in it.

I don't think humidity is a problem. I'm using aspen shavings and a water bowl. No misting of any sort. And It doesn't act like a blister because of the length of time he's had it. It just doesn't seem to bother him that's why I'm so puzzled.

Thanks for giving me some ideas. ANy others?

Tom

drizzt_19
12-02-2002, 08:43 PM
Has the snake been bit by a mouse???? It may be an infection.
Can you post a pic??

Rachel
12-03-2002, 11:34 AM
If it is an infection and this lump has been there for 3 months then it is chronic inflammation. It could be a skin tumour but these are usually hard or look like abscesses. Either way you should let someone experienced (ie a vet) take a look incase it needs to be treated.
Then again it could be like a fatty lump but I don't think reptiles can store fat like that.
Hope you find out soon, let us know! :)

bmm
12-03-2002, 03:41 PM
it could be a fatty lump but not liquid.

Overweight cornsnakes/snakes can develop lumps. I heard that sometimes no matter what they won't go away. Even if you put them on "diet" they can be stuck with the fat deposits which are lumps. But I would say you should go to the vet. I don't think your snake has fat deposits.

bmm

Tharding
12-04-2002, 08:20 PM
Here is a picture of the lump I've been describing. What do you all think?

Tharding
12-04-2002, 08:32 PM
I'll try the picture again. Sorry still new at this.

Tharding
12-04-2002, 08:37 PM
Here is another shot. I realize it is tough to see but I am sure it is filled with liquid. I can actually seperate the liquid with my finger.

Missymonkey
12-04-2002, 09:18 PM
Could your snake be gravid?

that's all I could think of,....

when I feel all bloaty I just take a pamprin drink a case of mountain dew eat a bag of m&ms and watch Princess Bride,... maybe if you turn on Princess Bride she'll get better??? (he he heee,... ok that wasn't as funny as I thought it was going to be...)

13mur 6
12-08-2002, 03:48 PM
Your snake could have constipation. If I think I'm seeing what I'm seeing, is that the base of the tail the second picture? But anyhow, I'd take her to a vet to make sure

-13mur 6

Tharding
12-10-2002, 07:45 PM
Thanks for all the help. I've pretty much determined a trip to the vet is in our future. The snake eats well and passes well, just like clock work!

I'll make sure I let everyone know when I find something out.