PDA

View Full Version : who's frozen pinkies do you buy..

who's frozen pinkies do you buy..

bxbountyhunter
12-04-2002, 11:12 PM
Hi guys,
i just wanted to know what company do you buy your frozen pinkies from? have you ever had a problem buying online or with the product it self. also if you can tell me how long they should last in the freezer. i am going to buy 100 pinkies and think i might buy 100 peach fuzzies as well to save on the shipping. i have 4 baby corns to feed, do you think that is a good idea? let me know....

kenalotia
12-04-2002, 11:24 PM
I buy from RodentPro.com, and have had very good experiences with them. Properly sealed, your frozen mice should last about 6 months. I have only bought larger mice in bulk, since I don't have a lot of hatchlings. My one would outgrow pinkies before I used them up, so it doesn't make sense for me. If you have 4 babies, then I think it would work out pretty well for you, although it's quite possible that they will move up to fuzzies very soon anyway. (I'm guessing that they hatched sometime this summer, and my hatchling just ate her first fuzzy at her last feeding.) If you think they'll outgrow pinkies before you can use 100, then I'd just buy the fuzzies/peach fuzzies instead, and continue to get pinkies in small quantities. :)

drizzt_19
12-04-2002, 11:26 PM
Well I buy mine from Rodentpro (http://www.rodentpro.com) . I read somewhere,not sure where, that frozen pinks should only be kept for about 3 mths. I buy 360 pinks,fuzzies,and hoppers just for my little ones(28 of them). This will last me about 2.5-3 months. Just to give you an idea of how many to buy.I think that buying 200 pinks and fuzzies for four snakes might be a little much. I guess it depends on how much you feed them. IMHO

HTH

bxbountyhunter
12-05-2002, 12:07 AM
i would also like to know your opinions on the frozen pinkies being packed in a zip lock bag or vaccum wrapped does it makes a difference?

Ken Harbart
12-05-2002, 10:50 AM
Yes, vacuum sealed rodents do last longer. They have the added benefit of taking up less space in the freezer.

Although I order my rodents from Rodentpro due to their lower prices, I definitely prefer the packaging of The Mouse Factory.

In the end, you need to decide what will work best for you as an individual. I go through rodents rather quickly, so I don't need to worry about extending their shelf life.

Jessie
12-05-2002, 01:49 PM
I have used Cajun Mice several times and they are good. They vacuum seal their packages, feed their mice no animal by-products and even were able to give me extra small pinks.
cajunmice.com (http://cajunmice.com/)

As for getting pinks and fuzzies, I'm not sure, the shipping for 100 pinks costs almost as much as the pinks themselves, so you would save on shipping if you ordered both. On the cajun mice site they said something like four month freezer life for unopened packages, if you think they'd eat the pinks quickly enough for the fuzzies not to go bad(freezer burned mice :eek: ), then go for it.
Jessie

Rich Z
12-05-2002, 04:39 PM
I've been getting pinky mice from Cajun Mice for a few years and have been very pleased with dealing with them. When all the babies are hatching out, there is no way my own mouse colony can provide all the 1 day old pinky mice I need. When I called around to try to find some additional pinkies, Cajun Mice was the ONLY one I talked to whom said they could provide me with large quantities of ONLY 1 day old pinkies. Everyone else said that I would have to take a mixture of pinkies from 1 day to 4 days old. And when I ordered from Cajun, I got exactly what I ordered. ALL 1 day old pinky mice.

Highly recommended!

Iris
12-05-2002, 05:31 PM
I noticed you live in the Bronx
Well, at the Westchester reptile expo I usually go to, I usually get my mice from this guy named Mike. He has pretty good mice at low prices. He lives near the George Washington Bridge in Manhattan and this flyer thing that I got from his table last time says you can pick up your order from his home.
Just something to keep in mind if you don't feel like paying more for shipping than mice and if you live close near him that would probably be faster for you and easier in the future as well :)
PM me if you are interested

Probe7899
12-05-2002, 09:35 PM
I live on long Island,NY I read the post about the guy named mike who sells mice at the westchester show do you know when the next one is because the last one I was surpose to go to at westchester I got sick.
Thanks
Brian

Nagah11979
12-06-2002, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by Jessie
if you think they'd eat the pinks quickly enough for the fuzzies not to go bad(freezer burned mice ), then go for it.

I hope i don't sound dumb but are the mice actually "bad" if they are a little freezer burned?

bmm
12-07-2002, 12:35 AM
Think that feeding to many freezer burned mice can lead to dehydration....although I can't remember if it was the freezer burn itself or the long time in the freezer but either way you get freezer burn. A couple days ago on another forum someone was talking about their snake getting dehydrated from eating lots of old mice for a few months. Although I don't have documentation on this.

bmm

snakemanone
12-07-2002, 05:02 PM
I breed my own rats and mice for many reasons,knowing the source,cheapness,freshness ect ect ect,i can produce 50 pinks (mice) and 30 pinks (rats) per month............................

...............STEVE.

Jessie
12-09-2002, 06:41 PM
Well, freezer burn would dry the mice out quite a bit and it might lose some food value. Of course it might not get burned very deep under the skin. I don't suppose it would be terrible to feed freezer burned mice, so long as plenty of water was supplied. That's just my uneducated guess but I'm not the best person to ask.
Jessie