PDA

View Full Version : Internal parasites? What else?

Internal parasites? What else?

Joanna
10-02-2006, 10:20 AM
I posted this on ReptilesCanada, but thought it might get more specific answers on a cornsnake specific board. Anyway, copy+paste:

My cornsnake (early 06) stopped eating roughly 2 months ago. He did not seem to be losing body mass, though I did switch him to a more simple set up and basically left him alone, no handling, just trying to feed him every week or so. Last night I went to offer a fuzzy mouse, and he was not responsive at all. The mouse was being riggled in front of his face, etc. NO interest.

After some looking over, he doesn't look good. There's some caked on feces on his vent area, and he also seems dehydrated, almost emaciated.

I'll try to take some pictures later, but for now, any ideas of what this could be, what can be done, what is a likely prognosis?

I do have a reptile vet somewhat nearby, just want to see what you guys think first.

diamondlil
10-02-2006, 03:26 PM
I think you need to get that snake to the vet asap

dawnrenee2000
10-02-2006, 04:26 PM
I posted this on ReptilesCanada, but thought it might get more specific answers on a cornsnake specific board. Anyway, copy+paste:

My cornsnake (early 06) stopped eating roughly 2 months ago. He did not seem to be losing body mass, though I did switch him to a more simple set up and basically left him alone, no handling, just trying to feed him every week or so. Last night I went to offer a fuzzy mouse, and he was not responsive at all. The mouse was being riggled in front of his face, etc. NO interest.

After some looking over, he doesn't look good. There's some caked on feces on his vent area, and he also seems dehydrated, almost emaciated.

I'll try to take some pictures later, but for now, any ideas of what this could be, what can be done, what is a likely prognosis?

I do have a reptile vet somewhat nearby, just want to see what you guys think first.

First of all an 06 animal should not be eating fuzzzies yet most likely and especcially if he hasnt eaten for two months. What are the temps in his cage and what did you feed it before it went off food? I cant imagine it is a very large snake at such a young age and having not eaten.

Secondly, the situation does not sound good. In future you should not go for two months without keeping a good eye on a non feeding juvenile snake. If it has gotten to this point of emacation, and dehydration without your noticing then, that is bad care taking on your behalf. Not being mean, just factual. You need to keep a better eye and spend more time caring for this animal.

Thirdly, there could be so many things causing the issues. First of all try to hydrate the poor animal . Set it in a small tupperware container with just a little bit of water and get it to soak for a bit and hopefully drink.

THEN , Get this animal into the vet immediately. You could possibly save its life by doing so.

Best of luck to your snake

Joanna
10-02-2006, 08:37 PM
First off, I have been soaking him daily, and he is not too small to be taking fuzzy mice - he was eating them regularly and reliably before he went off feed. I may be wrong, he may be an '05 - I really have no way of knowing for sure, this was only a guess. I was told not to worry when he stopped eating, and to simply leave him be and offer food once a week. Also, 2 months was a VERY rough estimate and likely far longer than it has actually been, seeing as I've only had him for about 4 months and he was eating well for significantly more than half of that time.
He has a temperature gradient of about 70 - 88, with a hide on each side and a sufficiently sized water bowl.
Honestly, emaciated is an over-exaggeration.
Sorry for the rough estimates/over-exaggerations - I was in a rush and wanted to get the idea across loud and clear before I had to go.
I am taking him to the vet, though they have tight hours and it may be up to a week before they fit him in.

Thanks for the replies, anyway, though I'm looking for anything to bring up at the vets office - ie, have a fecal sample done, etc.

Plissken
10-03-2006, 07:59 AM
Why are you soaking daily? From my experiences bathing my own snakes when they had mites, snakes (tho there are always exceptions to the rule of course) hate being placed in water. Mine would become extremely stressed, especially if I didn't support their bellies while they swam. If you have been bathing everyday, especially on days when you try to feed, I would think that this could put your snake off food. You might also want to be careful how often and for how long you bath the animal. Too much moisture can cause all sorts of problems. I'm not saying don't do it. Just saying, be careful.

Sounds obvious, but if a reliable eater suddenly stops feeding then something is not right. Think hard - did anything change around the time the snake stopped feeding? Even if it seems insignificant to you, it may not be so to your snake. Did the temperatures or environment change? Did you move the tank to a new location? Is there more noise, ie. did you install a CD player close to the tank? Snakes tend to be sensitive to their environment; one of mine refuses to feed unless I play with the lighting beforehand to get it just how he likes it.

Although from your description of the snake's condition it sounds as thought the poor animal may simply be ill (though not to say it hasn't been caused by environmental inefficiencies.) If you suspected the animal is ill, why did you not take it straight to a vet? I am sorry, but I don't understand that. Even if we accurately diagnose your snake, we can't do anything about it. A vet can hopefully diagnose AND treat your snake... so why not go there first?

I'm not being mean or anything like that. Just concerned for the snake. Good luck and keep us posted.

Joanna
10-03-2006, 10:50 AM
I've been bathing him daily SINCE I noticed him seeming so dehydrated, NOT since I got him. So basically, for the past 3-4 days, I've been soaking him briefly in warm water. And it has seemed to help.

There were absolutely no changes that I can think of anywhere near the time he stopped eating. His enclosure was never moved, nothing was added to or changed in the room, temperatures did not change. I did everything right, I know that, except maybe not checking him enough after he stopped eating - and I feel terrible for that, as it's not my normal reaction. I was just told to leave him alone, so I did.

I know he needs a vet, as I said, I am taking him, but the reptile vet has tight hours and it's not possible to get an immediate appointment. It's also NOT close by, and I need to be able to get a ride there, as I don't drive.

Anyway, thanks again for the response...Hopefully I can get him in by Friday.

xXMetalsAngelXx
10-06-2006, 02:37 AM
Give us a progress report on the poor thing =( If his vent is plugged he can't get the electrolytes he needs, snakes get them throught thier water through thier vent most of the time, soaking is a good idea as long as it's warm water. But of course the vet will know best. I know when my girl went to they did a stomach flush, out of the 25cc they put in her stomach they only got 8cc back out. She really needed it, then I boosted her heat and waited a week before attempting to feed again, good luck!!!