PDA

View Full Version : Help Out A College Station Herper...

Help Out A College Station Herper...

Pruddock
10-05-2006, 05:13 PM
This is my second year at Texas A&M, and I used to love herping back home and at my grandparents house in Arkansas, but I have no idea where to even start herping around this area. I don't know snakes in Central/East Texas very well. Anybody got any insight for me? :shrugs:

Pruddock
10-05-2006, 05:46 PM
Just an update to anyone who might read this, but right after I posted that I walked over to the pool and saw a beautiful Pueblan Milksnake running along the fence. Didn't have my camera handy and my girlfriend was freaking out so no pics. :(

mike17l
10-09-2006, 12:54 AM
Pueblan Milk snake in CS? You sure you got that right? Might have been a Louisiana Milk, if it was, I would have grabbed it, you don't see them to often. You can herp out near lake Bryan, NW of town, you can road hunt practically any where around. Look out on 60 towards huntsville, lots of good area around there. Just get out and drive, there is literally a ton of habitat around College Station. It just takes time and diligence. Maybe you will be the first to find an amelanistic pure Kistachie Corn.

Pruddock
10-09-2006, 01:00 AM
Hey man thank you very much. Do you herp around CS much? And I'm pretty sure it was a Pueblan it had the red black and yellow bands and it was beautiful. Could have been a lost bet though lol it was right along the ditch by my apartment complex. Girlfriend went nuts. Kept tellin me it was poisonous. lol. anyways, I've never been much of a road hunter and it'd be nice to go with somebody who's more experienced sometime so I'm trying to find a partner around here to go searching with. I'm not hardcore with the $2,000 camera or anything, but I used to love just going along, turning over some rocks, and taking some pictures of what I might find.

lefty_mussolini
10-09-2006, 01:04 AM
And I'm pretty sure it was a Pueblan it had the red black and yellow bands and it was beautiful.
Are you sure it wasn't a Coral Snake?

Pruddock
10-09-2006, 01:05 AM
positive, I've caught and come very close to bein bittin by a coral so I'm always a little paranoid about colorful bands. Definitly red and black bands next to each other.

Pruddock
10-09-2006, 02:15 AM
This is the exact type in Latin Lampropeltis triangulum annulata

mike17l
10-10-2006, 07:45 PM

In CS it would be Lampropeltis triangulum amaura the Louisiana Milk Snake. I would have kept it if it was an amaura, I have never personally seen one. I used to live in CS, but now live in Kingsville, about 45 minutes south west of corpus. Unless you know a land owner or two, your best bet would be road hunting in the spring.

mbdorfer
10-10-2006, 08:07 PM
That would be a Mexican Milk, not a Pueblan (campbelli) :wavey:

Pruddock
10-10-2006, 08:43 PM
OK, it looked like the Louisiana milk snake. Thank you for the correction and the advice on the roadhunting.

gwb8568
10-10-2006, 09:54 PM
even though you are an aggie..............i could maybe offer you something. there are a few of us on here that had talked about getting together this fall/winter and going out. i have never done much of that here in texas and the others (paul/pcar) has done quite a bit and (carlos/carattler) knows this area allot better than me and might have some "hook-ups". the only thing i can offer might be the best of anyone.........i used to work on the river (guadalupe) here which is obviously 100% private off either side of the water due to all the tubers and kayakers that frequent this area. but having worked for a few outfitters up and down river road, i have access to quite a few nice areas that we could spend the day at without problems.

anyway, just keep in touch on your progression and if you get the chance, go to hastings, borders, ebay or barnes and noble and look for this book (http://www.amazon.com/Texas-Snakes-Natural-History-Guides/dp/0292706758)