PDA

View Full Version : Feeding Issue

Feeding Issue

starsevol
10-06-2006, 09:31 PM
Hi all,
I hatched out a beautiful fire corn last month. He was a bit of a handful, always striking . He fed well for me on thawed but needed the pinky held in a pair of hemostats so he could strike at it but if I left the food in with him he ignored it. I sold him on Sunday along with another snake. The other snake is doing great, has fed twice already. The fire hasn't. When I had him he was aggressive and struck at his food. His new owner says he is very calm and slow moving and ignores his food, even if held in front of him. She got him Sunday, tried to feed him Tuesday with rat pinks (I think...she mentioned something about that anyway), Wednesday and tonight which is Friday. He refused all times. I told her she should wait at least a week before trying to feed him again. He always fed well for me. Any advice I can give her other than to wait a week?
Beth

PtDnsr
10-06-2006, 10:09 PM
Aren't rat pinks significantly bigger than mouse pinks? If she's feeding rat pinks it could be that the food is too big. Also have her double check the temps and make sure she's housing them separately. She can always try brained or washed as well, but I'd use that after a while.

~Katie

starsevol
10-06-2006, 10:21 PM
I know they are housed seperately but I will check on the other things you mentioned.
Thanx :)

LindsayMarie
10-07-2006, 04:25 AM
Hi its me, the new owner :) The rat pinkies are too big. I tried cutting them in half and when it was unsuccessful in the first few minutes I gave up. Went out the next day bought 2 small mice pinkies. Tried feeding and the bloodred girl ate almost right away. The fire wouldnt even after trying the hemostats and leaving him alone with it for a couple hours. So I felt badly as he seems hungry? So I went out and bought another small pinky mouse and tried again last night (a couple days from the last try). He is completely uninterested even though he hasnt eaten in a week and half. I think what worries me is that his demeanor, or personality has taken on a big change. Even when I went to pick him out he was mellow which was strange right Beth? Since he has been home here he has been very calm, never striking, even at the pink with tease feeding (which I dont think I will be doing anymore - he is going to hate food). Where since he was hatched he has been a very fiesty little one! Thats what I was expecting. I ended up naming him snoops cause he kind of just slowly snoops around, reminds me of snoopy the dog, not the cobra little guy described...lol Although the female makes up for that, sassy little one. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. I had a couple threads out there, but to avoid confusion you can post replies here. I did check temps tonight with a digital thermometer with the probe. The temps are 89-90 on the hottest spot of the heating pad side and 74-76 on the opposite cool side. Thats in the "dining" room. If I put them in the lizard room the air temps are higher, 85-88 so I was afraid to put the heating pad on, not even low. Not sure which situation is better. Right now they are on the heating pad, covered (so its dark and quiet), in the "dining room" with the varied temp gradient. They prefer to be about 3/4 way down their Lees Herp Haven which is more in the upper 80s underneath, but they do go all over. The house measures 17" x 12" x 6" roughly and I was told by another breeder that this is fine for the female who seems to be an established eater but not for the male who isnt. That I should move him to something smaller until he eats regularly. Should I? Will that stress him more? I just want whats best for him and do what I have to do so he will thrive. I dont want to lose 1 of my 1.1 pair for many reasons :( Thank you, Lindsay

starsevol
10-07-2006, 07:56 AM
I would definately put him in something smallerr. He was in a 1 quart container before.

LindsayMarie
10-07-2006, 09:46 AM
Ok will do. Anything else I should/shouldnt do? Thanks a bunch, Lindsay

starsevol
10-07-2006, 11:32 AM
I can't think of anything offhand.

LindsayMarie
10-12-2006, 12:59 AM
I didnt want to keep starting new threads so I will update here. I tried feeding Snoop along with his sister Sassy and a new amber female (unnamed). Anyways Snoop wouldnt eat. So far the pinky has been in his cage for 6 hours. I just pulled it out and tried washing it and put it back in. See if that helps? Also his sister refused her meal tonight. I am not too worried about her as she has eaten twice for me, both times very quickly. Maybe she is going in to a shed? Also the other new female ate her meal right away, which I posted pics of under the photo gallery (hypolav and amber pics).

My questions are what else can I do to get him to eat? What are the methods people use, and what order usually? Also how often do I try to feed him, once a week? Thank you for any help you can offer. Lindsay

LindsayMarie
10-12-2006, 01:37 AM
He ate!!!!!!! I am soooo excited. I decided to try the washing method and washed the pinky in johnsons baby bar soap. Rinsed well and put it in his cage. I went to check on him just now, an hour later and I dont see the pinky and I see a little lump in his belly. Now I just hope he keeps it down! This is wonderful! Wish his sister would eat now and I would be on cloud nine. But I think she may be going into a shed. WOW, I just cant believe the little stinker ate. It was a very small pinky, so the lump is small but its something! Hope he eats again next feeding. I will wash right from the start this time instead of having the pinky sit in his cage for 7 1/2 hours! :) ;) :cheers:

Cully
10-12-2006, 04:41 AM
That's great news :) Makes me wanna go home and feed my snake now (except she won't eat for another few days.. lol)

starsevol
10-12-2006, 07:32 AM
I am so relieved. I think it was the combination of the long car ride and the rat pinks, which smell different from mice. Then when you had to cut them up, I'm sure YOU were stressed so he felt that. Guess he's a sensitive guy, whereas Sassy couldn't care less!! I will wait until he feeds again though before offering your second choice for sale :)