PDA

View Full Version : shedding

shedding

ordinary boy
10-07-2006, 10:43 PM
hi everyone,
firstly appologies for not introducing my self but ive only had my cornsnake for 2 days and im already a little concerned! :eek1: hes a 6 wk old ghost male and hes had alot of trauma what with him moving into his new viv, being due to feed (5 days since his last one) and due to shed which he has just done today whils i was out, this brings me to my first prob, the last3/4 inch of his tail skin is missing, the shed skin is very crincled but im fairly sure its all there (eyecaps etc) exept for the last little bit of the tail, ive handled him ( i know i shud have ley him settle abit longer) but just know to check him out and i cant see any old skin on his tail but im still abit concernerned. hes hasnt fed yet in the new viv, he wasnt interested in the pinky today, but i think was to be expected. Am i just being a fussy parent :) ? any help mor adviice would be greatly appriciated folks! thanks!

BeckyG
10-07-2006, 10:49 PM
You need to fnid that tail skin. If it is still on his tail, it could cause the blood flow to be constricted as the snake grows, and the tip of his tail will die and fall off. Check him very carefully as it can sometimes be hard to see. If it is still on his tail, soak him for about 30 minutes in room temp water, then carefully remove the skin by rubbing a damp paper towel down his tail. It should come off with no problem.

Hold off on feeding him for a few days. He'll be alright, and once he is settled, he might be more interested in feeding.

ordinary boy
10-07-2006, 11:03 PM
thanks for replying so quickly! i'll soak the little fella's tail tomorrow and endevor to sort him out! thanks for the feeding advice as well! :)

diamondlil
10-08-2006, 05:27 AM
A snake-o-bath (wet flannel in the bottom of a lunchox with air holes in the lid) is invaluable for dodgy sheds,

ordinary boy
10-08-2006, 09:58 AM
the snake bath has worked a treat!! :) thanks very much for the advice diamondlil!

diamondlil
10-08-2006, 10:01 AM
no worries! Glad it worked, I only tried it myself because my snakes hated water!