PDA

View Full Version : You Probably Already Know This...

You Probably Already Know This...

Nanci
10-10-2006, 07:41 AM
I have an adult wild-caught corn, Maizey, who has decided over the summer that she no longer will eat F/T. After a six week hunger strike, I discovered that she _would_ eat fresh-killed adult mice. (No washed F/T mice, no live rat fuzzies!) So fine, she's on about her forth week of that, and I brought her home a mouse last night, and put her into her feeding container- maybe a little earlier than usual- usually I wait until dusk- this was about 5:30PM. No interest. I checked after an hour- still hadn't eaten. Normally she would eat within ten minutes. I'm thinking- I'm tired of wasting mice- you're staying in there till you eat or till morning- whichever comes first. Three hours later- she decided to eat.

I _know_ with babies it's customary to leave them with the food item overnight if necessary- just hadn't thought this would work with an adult. I just thought if she hadn't eaten in 30-60 minutes, she wasn't going to.

So now I'm wondering if she _would have_ eaten the F/T, or even the rat fuzzy, if given hours to decide...

Or maybe it was just too early in the day. But I feed her in the laundry room with the light off and the door barely cracked open- so it's not light in there anyway.

Any thoughts?

diamondlil
10-10-2006, 11:05 AM
I usually have to leave my ratsnake for an overnight feed, he eats f/t so there's no danger to him. He'll eat straight away very rarely, so I just leave him in a secure tub with his midnight snack