PDA

View Full Version : health issue

health issue

ferdelance
10-10-2006, 05:30 PM
my new amel blood has been doing some weird exhale that makes a "tst" sound every once in a while. i have never noticed this in any of my other snakes. Is it something i should be concerned about.

bitsy
10-10-2006, 05:44 PM
Could be a couple of things.

If they're coming up to shedding, the skin loosens around the mouth and nostrils first and that can make their breathing sounds clicky or hissy now and again. Might he be due a shed?

Could be an RI. Are you seeing any kind of mucus or caked-on stuff around the nostrils? If it's an RI, think I'd expect the noise to be there most of the time.

Maybe you just have a "talker" that likes to have the occasional miniature hiss to show you who's boss. My Kingsnake has a bit of a puff now and again, but it doesn't seem to mean anything.

What sort of substrate are you using? Might be he's finding it a bit dusty and it's irritating his nose/airway.

Does he seem OK apart from the occasional noise?

BeckyG
10-10-2006, 07:03 PM
My snow does this when she is getting ready to shed. If you don't see any discharge from the nose or mouth, that is most likely what it is. Just keep an eye on him, and if you do notice his nose running, take him to a vet.

JasonGranger
10-10-2006, 07:59 PM
My snow does this when she is getting ready to shed. If you don't see any discharge from the nose or mouth, that is most likely what it is. Just keep an eye on him, and if you do notice his nose running, take him to a vet.

If you even suspect that your snake has an RI, it's better to take him to the vet now than later. If he doesn't have one, a checkup's cheaper than RI treatment. It's always better to catch an RI early on.

ferdelance
10-11-2006, 05:49 PM
as it turns out he started shedding this morning. thanks anyway though