PDA

View Full Version : What The Heck Is Going Oonnn ?????

What The Heck Is Going Oonnn ?????

Droptines
10-11-2006, 07:04 AM
Semi-long story short,,things/life with my new snake were going fine.Then at one feeding I thought he could use 2 pinkies,because the lump in his belly was small,,and disappeared in like 1 day.So,,I somewhere in between feedings he tossed up a pinkie pretty sure it was after his first double pinkie meal.
I gave him a 5 or 6 days then he shed,,then I offered him 1 large pinkie.He took it down OK.Big lump in his belly.I figured he would be good to go for 5 days or so.That was Monday evening,,last night he regurgitated it.I believe his temps are in the good range.His warm hide is in the 81 to 84 range.Cool side is around 73 to 75.
I'm starting to get worried :cry: what am I doing wrong...HELP !!!!

Plissken
10-11-2006, 07:20 AM
You may not be offering enough time between regurges. After a regurge, it is recommended that you do not feed again for at least 10 days. Sounds like you gave your snake just half that time.

Also... you believe the temps are in a good range? It is important to know what the temps are. Measure them with a digital thermometer with a probe, stick-on ones are terrible.

So I recommend that you look at your temperatures and do not feed again for AT LEAST 10 days. Also, minimise stress as much as possible during this period. Do not handle the snake or disturb him in any way except for maintenance like water changes, etc.

Best of luck.

RLS1966
10-11-2006, 04:09 PM
Sounds like he did not have enough time to build up his stomach acid from the first regurge, if that's the case he could not digest the next feeding...resulting in another regurge.

BeckyG
10-11-2006, 05:20 PM
Yes, give him the full 10 days after a regurge, then give him only half a pinky. Tip: cut them when they're still frozen. It's much easier that way. You don't want him to get into a pattern of regurging as it can be fatal to the snake. Make doubly sure your temps are OK. Then make triply sure. Order some Nutribac. Read the FAQ on regurging, and do a search, and you will find all sorts of advice.

I had this issue with my little bloodred Scarlett. She regurged 4 times in a row, and I was sure she would die, but Kathy Love gave me some advice that saved her life.

Good luck, and remember not to try to rush things.

Droptines
10-11-2006, 08:23 PM
Thanks guys for the advice.When I said,"I believe the temps are in a good rang",,I gave the ranges.They are exact.I was doing a quick check in my corn snake care book,by Kathy Love,,and she states a warm temp of around 90. :eek1: :eek1: Thats not too high ??.Someone else on this board told me I should be no higher than 84-85.Whats ideal ??.
I will make sure to give her a full 10 days,,,it just seems like such a LONG time with out food :cry: I worrier because shes so small.Some one made the comment that corn snakes are near "bullet proof" as far as snakes go.Man,,I sure hope so.

Eremita
10-12-2006, 10:31 AM
I noticed that in Kathy's book as well, but pretty much everyone here keeps their warm end in the mid-80's. My only thought at the time was that she was referring to internal temperatures, and even though snakes are cold-blooded, the process of digestion generates some additional heat. And while I can sympathize that waiting 8-10 days seems tough, nothing they eat will stay down if you don't. Your snake won't starve in that time, but since they have now regurged twice, try to follow the advice - really small item, Nutribac, etc - very closely.

Also, along with Becky's impressive thread, check out this thread (http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38826) for a similar recent case where Mr. Icky came around with proper treatment.

-Sean

Plissken
10-12-2006, 12:04 PM
Thanks guys for the advice.When I said,"I believe the temps are in a good rang",,I gave the ranges.They are exact.

Sorry if you think I'm being persnickety, but a range by definition cannot be exact. :shrugs:

Eremita
10-12-2006, 12:31 PM
Let's call them "precisely bounded" then. It is not even theoretically conceivable for a thermostat to maintain an exact temperature. At least we know what the temps are, and while I keep mine slightly warmer, his match about any care sheet you can find. Plus, this is most likely an overfeeding-related regurge anyway - right after an increase in meal size and then too short a recuperation period.

-Sean

Droptines
10-12-2006, 08:09 PM
Teratoma,,I believe your right.I just got a bit too "itchy" with the whole grow,grow,,GROW...I want him/her to get BIG :grin01: ,,but I need to be patient,,especially after what has happened.I WILL give her the needed time.She/he was out and about today.First under a log,then under a cave hide,,now up in a bush..I'll keep you guys/gals posted,,thanks again :)