PDA

View Full Version : unusual smells

unusual smells

Ethalmybaby
10-11-2006, 05:28 PM
I’ve had my corn snake for 1 and a half years she is my first snake, she eats and sheds well and is a very pleasant snake, but recently I cannot understand the strange and pungent smells coming from her vivarium I clean her out as much as possible, there are no rotting animals in the vivarium. This has only been in the past month and since i moved her to a bigger vivarium and a higher heat matt.
i would like to know if anyone else has experienced this can you tell me if it normal.....please help thank you

NyanNyan
10-11-2006, 05:45 PM
Maybe she has defecated in the viv and you can't see it right away :shrugs:

Cully
10-12-2006, 04:46 AM
Did you only change the viv and heat mat, or did you change substrate/thermometer/hide/ or anything else...

First step would be to look at what's changed and work it out from that point of view.

I'm not really an expert on snakes, but maybe someone else could answer if there's a smell when a snake matures or is ready to mate or whatever :/

Eremita
10-12-2006, 10:18 AM
Recently my corn defecated on the rock base of his plastic/silk plant, on the back side where I could not see it. It wasn't until I pulled the whole thing out that it became obvious. A larger viv means more possible places for her to have used. I recommend taking everything out, checking each item individually, and if nothing turns up, replace the substrate and check the empty viv before doing so. The only other possible source of smell would be the snake (eg, having travelled through her own poo), and I expect you would have determined that as soon as you handled her.

-Sean

dawnrenee2000
10-12-2006, 11:07 AM
Healthy Snake Poo should not have a strong pungent smell..Of course it shouldnt smell like roses, but except for when it is very fresh the smell should be minimal. I reccomend checking your cage again and look for a regurge or an uneaten food item. These DO have a strong smell that won't go away.