PDA

View Full Version : My snake's got something wierd....

My snake's got something wierd....

13mur 6
12-10-2002, 03:18 PM
I know it's not crypto, since she's eating fine and pooping fine, and she's shedding now and she just cleared up and she's active, not looking sick.

But, she's got this firm lump in her belly. I fed her like last week and it looks like she just ate. I felt the area and it's pretty firm, HOWEVER, she seems to be able to contract the area and make it look normal. I also massaged the area a little and let her slip through my fingers a couple times to see if I could help it go down whatever it was (I think it might be a fuzzie skull that got stuck or something), and sure enough, something moved down. I gotta check on her again in a bit, because the lump has a habit of coming back, but in the meantime does anyone know what it possibly might be?

-Lemur 6

Rachel
12-11-2002, 03:11 AM
Could be twisted gut. Just a thought...

Wa$ted
12-11-2002, 09:10 AM
if youve been feeding it larger prey than the usual size maybe its "Extra fat" im not sure or anything but my friend used to feed his corn small prey when he started feeding it larger prey it shed and now its kind of "Fat" in the middle looks a bit like a lump. he said thats fat.

im not sure at all..
but it could be true:rolleyes:

13mur 6
12-11-2002, 01:42 PM
Ouch! a twisted gut? Isn't that fatal?

Rachel
12-12-2002, 05:39 AM
No not always. Its just like having colic, I'd take him to someone experienced to check him out! :D

Rainey
12-12-2002, 10:33 AM
As expensive and sucky as it is to take it to the vet, I think that would be your best bet.

13mur 6
12-12-2002, 11:38 AM
K, here's what happened...
My snake finally shed, perfect shed from nose to tail tip, not a rip or tear in the shed. She takes an absolute humongous poop (did look kinda wierd, a little green, kinda hairy, few ribs here and there sticking through, and 2 SKULLS~:eek: !!! not very big, sorta small). I spiked her water with a little grapefruit seed extract two days ago too just incase and she drank twice with me watching. And the lump went away too:) !

So, here's my second question. Do regurges slow digestion (she's been regurging on and off for about a month)? How long does it take for her to restore her stomach acids to their full potency? Is there anything I can do to help?

Normally she digests the skull straight through to the point where I can't discern anything in her poop (and it looks a lil more black too, not this strange green color). Well I have a ton of poop now to take to the vet. I'll update afterwards when the results come in.

-Lemur 6

Rachel
12-13-2002, 03:23 AM
If your snake has been regurging on and off for about a month then there is something wrong with her. You should let her stomach acids build back up after a regurge ( I usually leave mine for a week then try again) otherwise it will make the situation worse.

PS green, furry poos? Sure they weren't mouldy?

lykinst
03-22-2008, 09:26 PM
i recently purchased some new bedding for my snake its the pressed purchased stuff that you soak in water well after letting it air dry for a few days i put it in and he absolutely loved it well a few days later i noticed these little white bugs looked like small white fleas so i instantly took out my snake dumped the stuff outside and cleaned his cage using a different bedding does anyone know what these bug are? did they come from the bedding? or something else? i also added a new log to his cage that i found in my back yard i baked the log on 350 for an hour before i put it in his cage i didnt see any of the bugs on the log only in the bedding thanx for any input u may have

Nanci
03-22-2008, 09:36 PM
I don't think you can say you _know_ it's not crypto unless you get her checked. The enlarged stomach is a classic sign.

Messorius
03-22-2008, 09:39 PM
i recently purchased some new bedding for my snake its the pressed purchased stuff that you soak in water well after letting it air dry for a few days i put it in and he absolutely loved it well a few days later i noticed these little white bugs looked like small white fleas so i instantly took out my snake dumped the stuff outside and cleaned his cage using a different bedding does anyone know what these bug are? did they come from the bedding? or something else? i also added a new log to his cage that i found in my back yard i baked the log on 350 for an hour before i put it in his cage i didnt see any of the bugs on the log only in the bedding thanx for any input u may have

Rofl this thread is from 6 years ago. You should probably make a new one for your problem, lykinst.

Roy Munson
03-22-2008, 09:39 PM

Why would you hijack a 5 and-a-half year dead thread to ask this question instead of starting your own thread? Anyway, sounds like wood lice, and they probably came from the bedding. Use aspen shavings, or newspaper, or paper towels. I've never seen wood lice come from those substrates. I've seen a lot of them from repti-bark and some other bark products though...

SquamishSerpents
03-22-2008, 09:42 PM

sorry, make your own thread

and 13mur 6, you should do a search on the forums for regurge protocol, because if your snake has regurged, it's not as simple as just waiting a few days and trying again, that can actually aggrivate the problem and cause it to happen agian.

Nanci
03-22-2008, 09:43 PM
Hah! I usually catch the old ones before I reply! I guess the snake is either dead or not by now!

SquamishSerpents
03-22-2008, 09:54 PM
ahha oh jeez lynkist don't dig up old threads and post something irrelevant! there are many people (like me) who are constantly asleep at the keyboard, and don't pay attention to the thread date...oopsie!