PDA

View Full Version : Underfeeding?!?!?

Underfeeding?!?!?

sgibson81
10-13-2006, 06:46 PM
I recently bought what I was told is a sunglow corn from a local reputable pet store. They talked me out of the babies (a good idea I gather) and set me up with what they called a "teenager." She's about 27 inches and just a little thicker than your thumb.
Her first feed was great, about 4 days after I brought her home. She took a sub-adult f/t for the 1st time ever. A week later 2nd feed 1 medium f/t mouse-just as great.
One problem--she tracks incessantly for a good hour or two after I feed her- tongue-flicking, hunting, posturing-the works. I know that snakes are opportunists and will eat as much as they can when they can, but could she still be hungry? I find it's odd she's that active right after a meal. For her size is one medium mouse enough? If anyone has any thoughts about my piggish snake or to verify her as a sunglow, I'd love to hear them.

Roy Munson
10-13-2006, 07:00 PM
Welcome to the forums. :) Well, she's not a sunglow. A sunglow would have no white on its back. She's borderline for being a reverse Okeetee, but she would need thicker white borders for that. But she IS a beautiful amelanistic corn.

Sounds like your feeding schedule is good. The prey items you give her should be a little thicker than she is, leaving a pronounced (but not huge) lump after you feed her. I'd keep her on the weekly schedule until she's ready to move up to full-sized adult mice, then I'd cut her back to a feeding every ten days or so. :)

gwb8568
10-13-2006, 07:16 PM
sgibson81.....you have just heard from the master. do what he says and you will go back into that pet store with your monster and get an instant 50% discount on whatever you want. they will not even recognize the snake or that they have ever even sold one that looks like that when they grow up.

welcome to the site and excellent first snake. in short, that is what most people call an amel (like dean said) and it is very pretty. please keep us updated on the progression. :cheers:

sgibson81
10-13-2006, 07:19 PM
Thanks to both of you. I will listen to the master for I do have much to learn. And I thought the "sunglow" was wrong,--thanks again for the help!

BeckyG
10-14-2006, 09:31 PM
It is a beautiful snake, but I agree with what Dean said in that she is not a sunglow.

About the activity after feeding, it takes some of them a while to get out of hunt mode. That doesn't mean your snake isn't getting enough to eat, though. They just sometimes need time to wind down.

bitsy
10-15-2006, 04:37 PM
Agree with BeckyG. Once they've eaten, it's just instinct that makes them continue "hunting" for a while, as they would in the wild.

One medium mouse a week is just fine for her current size.

She's a real looker as well!