PDA

View Full Version : Black under head/mouthline

Black under head/mouthline

BBirdP
10-15-2006, 01:05 AM
My "albino" corn seems to be healthy. She hasn't shed this month, but she also would not eat the past 2 times I've tried to feed her. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with my problem, if it is a problem. I can't really tell if its under her mouth or along the mouthline, but she has some sort of black line along there. I at first thought it may have been an injurt, but she's had it for a very long time, a month and something weeks. She's fed since she's had it too.. Anyone have any ideas what it could be?

tomgarland
10-15-2006, 05:00 AM
hmm not sure about this one and dont know what and 'injurt' that you mentioned is. The only thing i can remember that sounds fimiliar is that a common place for mites to be found is under the chin. To test for mites run your snake tightly through a towel or your hands and look for coarse pepper grains (that is what mites look like) alternatively keep checking your water bowl for them aswell.
Hope this has helped and that your snake is fine

galofgrace
10-16-2006, 09:57 AM
Also, what substrate are you using? When I was using repti bark it left a brown rim around my snakes mouth. Just a thought. :wavey:

tomgarland
10-16-2006, 12:19 PM
i use aspen bedding, its the best out of all the substrates ive tried

MegF.
10-16-2006, 12:26 PM
I believe that injurt is supposed to be injured. Usually mouthrot is not black, but I'd take something blunt like the edge (not point) of a toothpick to open her mouth and see if the mouth is clear. If there's something going on with her mouth, you're going to need a vet to take care of it.

Old World
10-16-2006, 04:09 PM
Hi, do mites burrow into a snakes scales? or do they sit on the outside of a snake. Because just the other day i found out that my snake had mites crawling on her. I bathed her any applied a layer or olive oil and they seem to be gone, then she shed yesterday, which happens to be the same day i did the oil treatment. So anyways, i cant see any mites crawling around on the paper towel or on her, could they have burrowed under her scales and are not visible anymore? oh also, what does it look like when a mite has crawled under a snakes scale, is it visible? thanks alot

BBirdP
10-16-2006, 07:38 PM
I use reptibark. It's only black on one side and a small bit. I noticed pepper specks of the same color but much smaller under her head, but how could they be mites? There have been none moving on her, none in the water, and these have been there for a while. I've treated for mites aswell. I've had mites before and these seem darker and bigger (and theres only been 3 the entire time.)

I believe that injurt is supposed to be injured.

Typo? Are you saying you think its an injury? It has been there for some time now, but she's eaten with the black there before and it hasn't seemed to grow visibly so it couldnt be mouth rot could it?

MegF.
10-16-2006, 08:02 PM
Yes, I think you made a typo, but now I think the word is injury, not injured. Can you take a picture of the mouth?

BBirdP
10-16-2006, 08:23 PM
I've only got a camera phone and i've tried. It's too small to see or even focus on.