PDA

View Full Version : Anyone's snakes make "squeaky" or "squelchy" noises!?

Anyone's snakes make "squeaky" or "squelchy" noises!?

Plissken
10-17-2006, 01:47 AM
Lol. I realise this is a really stupid question, but I've noticed for a while now that sometimes when I hold my snakes, they seem to make "squelchy" noises internally. I noticed it last night when I was holding Connor and to be honest it was so loud, I got a tad worried... I wondered if I was squishing his interal organs or something.

They never seem to react painfully to the noise, I'm just wondering what on earth it is? Hope you know what I mean because I don't know how else to describe it really :shrugs:

Paradox
10-17-2006, 02:02 AM
I've never heard it, but it could be something to do with digestion... :shrugs:

Droptines
10-17-2006, 04:20 AM
Your question gave me a flash back from when I was a kid.In mid to late summer, the big creek chubs would pool up in certain section of the river across the road from my house.They would be thick in sections of fast water,knowing that their time to spawn was close.In an hour I would catch a few dozen on my fly rod.BIG,red faced males,,always looking for a meal.Well,anyway when you would hold them to take the hook out,,they made this funky gaging,or almost like puking sound.Not sure,but I think it was some sort of a lame "defense" attack.It just sounded gross :-puke01: :rolleyes:

Plissken
10-17-2006, 05:40 AM
Thanks for the replies, but I don't know about digestion. Tonight is feeding night so Connor had his last meal 7 days ago.

It's not a prolonged noise; it only lasts a second or two at the most, just like a quick, popping sort of squelchy sound. :shrugs:

tomgarland
10-17-2006, 06:05 AM
sounds like your describing a fart to me, can snakes fart?

Plissken
10-17-2006, 06:12 AM
The sound does not come out by the tail. As I said, it's an internal sound. It comes from inside them, usually about halfway down the body.

When it happened last night, I was gripping my snake a little. I wasn't squeezing him hard at all, but he was disappearing up my sleeve and by reflex really I'd just caught on to his belly and drew him out of my sleeve. I was not squeezing him; holding "gently but firmly" would apply here I guess. So, any ideas? :shrugs:

tomgarland
10-17-2006, 06:17 AM
is they're any chance it could be like a tennis shoe on a basketball court?..... a little friction and a shiny surface, the snakes scales then you get a little sound. Just because its weird that it only happens so infrequently if it was something more substantial you'd expect it to be happening more surely?

Plissken
10-17-2006, 07:47 AM
It really does sound internal - almost like their organs are 'squelching.' I'm dying to know what causes this sound, for the sake of my own curiosity if nothing else :wavey:

Roy Munson
10-17-2006, 08:36 AM
The sounds you're hearing could be respiratory. Sometimes their exhalations can make a slightly squeaky sound, especially as they approach shed. Sometimes older snakes get a buildup of unshed skin in their nostrils, and it can cause an audible exhale. :shrugs:

galofgrace
10-17-2006, 09:06 AM
I know what your'e talking about. It's almost like the skin is being stretched and makes a strange sound. Mine did it once when it was going up my sleeve and I had to pull him out. :wavey:

BeckyG
10-18-2006, 07:07 PM
I wonder do snakes' tummys growl...

Tula_Montage
10-19-2006, 02:14 PM
I agree with what dean said earlier... I have never noticed this in corns, just the boas. They tend to "puff up" and make wheezy popping noises when in shed. Not all the time, just in the day or so leading up to total blueness. Its nothing to worry about :cheers:

firefightin_chick
10-23-2006, 03:17 AM
sounds like your describing a fart to me, can snakes fart?

Oh, yeah, snakes can most assuredly fart. It can be very smelly too. lol

My husband, Robert, and I were helping some friends with their 9' 90lb Albino Burmese Python (she was a rescue, badly mistreated by her former owners, she was a tad on the skinny side). She had eaten just a few days before, 2 big guinea pigs and a ring-necked dove, and she was swimming in the gold fish pond. Well, as they tend to do, she pooped in the water. But prior to the poop there was a couple of big bubbles that came out her vent and popped on the surface of the water, accompanied by a retched stink. It was quite funny.

So yes, snakes do indeed fart.

:wavey: