PDA

View Full Version : Who Has A Shy Eater!?!?!

Who Has A Shy Eater!?!?!

10-21-2006, 11:38 AM
Well I had a non feeder, I finally got her to eat twice for me! But for some reason she will only eat in a paper bag!!! I want to see her eat!! Every time I put her in a box or something like that, she just looks around and ignores her food... Do any of you got experience with a snake like this? and how long does this behaviour last for?

Thanks.

Roy Munson
10-21-2006, 11:45 AM
I think with a problem starter like that, you should be happy that she's eating at all (I know that I'm happy for you). I understand that you want to watch her eat, but I'd recommend not even trying until her feeding response is much better established. Maybe after she's successfully downed 10 or 15 you can attempt to feed her in a very small, clear container, like a deli cup. :)

10-21-2006, 11:49 AM
I think with a problem starter like that, you should be happy that she's eating at all (I know that I'm happy for you). I understand that you want to watch her eat, but I'd recommend not even trying until her feeding response is much better established. Maybe after she's successfully downed 10 or 15 you can attempt to feed her in a very small, clear container, like a deli cup. :)

Don't get me wrong... Im extremly happy that she finally ate for me :crazy02: I thought she was going to DIE... But now im getting a little greddy I guess... Yeah your right give it some time... :grin01:

PACorn
10-21-2006, 06:13 PM
My July '06 baby is exactly like yours. He's eaten for me from the start fortunately, but he only eats; in the evening, lights out, and in a paper bag. So far he's eaten about 6 meals, but he just won't eat when I'm watching.

Oh well, like the person before said, ..... at least he's eating!

Cegninedorf
10-21-2006, 06:16 PM
By the time I got to my lil'mademoiselle Bellerouge, I was perplexed that she didn't just chow down like my other two corns -- Fritz (who is such a growing boy!) and Maizie (who is just growing -- no idea yet!). So, I took her out of the feeding container and waited 4 days, as per recommended after a refused feeding (that I've read of, at least...). After 4 days, I tried to feed Belle again, but to no avail...until I put the clear plastic feeding container in a larger, dark box. Fifteen mins later, pas de mouse & voila -- the lil'mademoiselle was plump in the middle. Apparently, she's such a lady that she must do her chowing in private. ;)

Belle still prefers to eat that way, and I don't mind -- as long as she eats. :) That's more important to me than actually seeing her do so because I can tell by the lumpy midsection that she's eaten.

10-21-2006, 06:17 PM
My July '06 baby is exactly like yours. He's eaten for me from the start fortunately, but he only eats; in the evening, lights out, and in a paper bag. So far he's eaten about 6 meals, but he just won't eat when I'm watching.

Oh well, like the person before said, ..... at least he's eating!

Hmmm... 6 meals already and hes still not letting you watch him eat?
When are you going to try again?

Weebonilass
10-21-2006, 06:31 PM
Not to bring you bad news... but my guy was around 3 - years, not months- before he would eat without it being dark and his feeding cage being covered! Sometimes even at 5, I still have to turn out the lights if he's not showing a lot of interest in his dinner. Guess, I've never felt an overwhelming desire to watch him feed. Guess it's a good thing... I'm just happy it's down the hatch :)

10-21-2006, 06:35 PM
Not to bring you bad news... but my guy was around 3 - years, not months- before he would eat without it being dark and his feeding cage being covered! Sometimes even at 5, I still have to turn out the lights if he's not showing a lot of interest in his dinner. Guess, I've never felt an overwhelming desire to watch him feed. Guess it's a good thing... I'm just happy it's down the hatch :)

:eek1: 3 YEARS!!! I hope mines not like that ...

BeckyG
10-21-2006, 07:40 PM
I had one who wouldn't eat with anyone watching either, until he was about 18 months old. He went on a breeding fast this past spring, and when he came out of it, he totally changed his eating habits. Now he is my most aggressive feeder and doesn't care who watches. He's also the only one who aggressively strikes and constricts his dead mouse.

MegF.
10-21-2006, 08:21 PM
My one neon just started eating without being hidden in a box. It took about 10 feedings or so for that to happen. My one Okeetee was so shy, I had to take all the substrate out of her viv and feed her in the enclosure or she absolutely wouldn't eat. That lasted for about 4 or 5 feedings and then she had to have the lid closed on the feeder box for longer than that to eat. On the other hand, I had two non-feeders that will only eat if you hold them in your hand. Go figure.....

10-22-2006, 12:00 AM
Well I guess it all comes down to the personaltily of the snake... Some take a couple of feedings and some take YEARS... Anyways thanks for all the replys! Wish me luck :crazy02:

10-22-2006, 12:02 AM
Well I guess it all comes down to the personality of the snake... Some take a couple of feedings and some take YEARS... Anyways thanks for all the replies! Wish me luck :crazy02:

sarah s
10-22-2006, 07:43 PM
you could try deli cup in brown bag once shes eatten a few more feeds.

10-23-2006, 11:48 PM
:crazy02: Tonight is feeding night! And when I put my snake in the paper bag, I did't even have a chance to close the bag! She went right at it! I finally saw my baby eat! :crazy02: :cheers:

MegF.
10-24-2006, 06:48 AM
Yahoo! See, she must have read this thread.