PDA

View Full Version : Alarming behaviour in adult corn...

Alarming behaviour in adult corn...

Brig
12-15-2002, 10:59 AM
Last night my adult normal male corn suddenly went absolutely bananas and we are really worried!

His enclosure is in our sitting room, and we were sitting close by, when he went from his usual mooching around to flying round and round and up and down, nose rubbing like mad, and trying to squeeze under the screen top (he hasn't been able to get in there for some months now, too big!), but he was giving it a really fast, violent try, then falling down with a big bang, only to do the same thing again.
It was as though something really spooked him, he looked crazy, but the room was quiet, we were both reading, no TV or music on, and no other distractions.

It was really awful to see him like that - he's the most calm and docile of all our babies, always has been, never bothers about anything, and this is really out of character.

I took him out because I really thought he'd injure himself (and it took some doing because he really didn't want to be picked up), and almost immediately he calmed down, and was ok. I kept him out for about half an hour, and he was fine, just like normal. Eventually he settled in for a snuggle under my jumper and stayed there for quite a while.

I'd be really interested to know what anyone thinks. I've never seen this before, could he have been in pain? Could he be fed up in his enclosure - like a panic attack?

Please tell me what you think,

Brig:(

snakemanone
12-15-2002, 02:29 PM
just a thought though,

have you checked for mites? as i think the snake would feel it if it was being bitten by a tick or mite,could cause it to freak out.

just a thought................STEVE.

Susan
12-16-2002, 12:50 PM
Sort of sounds like what happens when I accidentally catch one of my corn's tail in the lid...an "OW! That really hurt and I want to GET AWAY from whatever attacked me!" Is there any place in his enclosure that he may have accidentally gotten his tail stuck in or pinched, like a branch with a tight V? Just a thought.

Brig
12-16-2002, 01:54 PM
Well, it's definitely not mites - he's really clean and clear, and I check him whenever he's out (which is regularly!)

I think the tail pinch idea might be closer - there's all sorts of things in his enclosure (branch, pottery hide, some chunks of slate), and I agree that it was more the 'I want to get away' type of thing.

He's been fine today, and I guess I'll probably never know!

Thanks for your input guys,

Brig. :)