• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Hatchling not growing!!!

isobel

Isobel
Hi Everyone
Tonight i recieved a phone call from someone who bought 2 of my hatchlings this year. She says that both of the snakes seem perfectly healthy, are eating and shedding well but one of them is not growing aswell as the other.

I know this may be a hard question for you to answer as neither you or I have seen what size the snakes actually are!
I just wandered if any of you had experienced this with your own Hatchlings?

I have never kept any of my hatchlings to see at what rate they grow or gain weight. Although people do phone me if they experience any problems or have any concerns.
I'm afraid i can't explain why one is not growing as well as the other to this lady, so i thought maybe you clever people could help.

I will suggest that i see the snakes for myself and check they are ok.

Any idea's anyone?

Thanks
Isobel :)

If they're both eating, crapping, and shedding, then it doesn't sound like your customer has anything to worry about. Just like humans, snakes have different metabolisms. I have small, slender snakes that eat MORE than some of my larger, heavier snakes, but just don't gain much mass. :)

Yeah, what Roy said ...

I have noticed that my early '06's grew like gangbusters and still seem to be gaining steadily. My later babies hit a weight plateau pretty soon after arriving. They seem to be gaining length and not much else, at the moment. But, they're eating and shedding just fine, so I figured it's just a temporary phase.

Good luck! :wavey:

Snakes grow at different rates. After one year I have ten siblings that range in weight from 42g to 126g. They were all fed the same as hatchlings and it's just been in the past month or two that they've really started to deviate in the size of the prey that they eat (meaning they each used to eat mostly the same thing and now it ranges from weanlings to small mice).

~Katie

Thanks for your replies, i really appreciate it.
Its common sense really isn't it? i had thought that snakes are just like anyone or anything else, so therefore they will not all be the same!

The two snakes i use for breeding are both different in size, and there isn't much age difference. I thought it was best to check with you 'experienced' people first though because i would hate to give bad advise.

cheers Guys :)

isobel

:-offtopic Any pictures of Ruby and Sid? On topic, my 2 sibling hatchlings this year have had exactly the same feeding schedule, and matched each other for the first 6 weeks, but now the female normal is definately chunkier than the male anery, and I'll find out if it's reflected in their weights later in the week at their monthly weigh-in.

Back