PDA

View Full Version : Our CornSnake won't eat after all i tried...

Our CornSnake won't eat after all i tried...

zpeed
12-16-2002, 05:18 PM
Hi,

Our Cornsnake won't eat....

We had two cornsnakes.. one died a week ago because of parasites... we cleaned everything and the other snake looks good.. but doesn't want to eat...
before the other one died they both didn't really eat.. the one left had two pinkies... but threw them out again...

I tried really a lot of things to get him to eat.. but don't wanna push it in....

also i have gave him a worm cure... the guy in the store thought it would help... but still no food....
what can i do?

Thanks
SpeeD
Http://www.xs4all.nl/~speedzhttp://www.xs4all.nl/~speedz/images/thehand.jpg

bmm
12-16-2002, 07:20 PM
Am not sure of any widley used "worm" cure sold in pet stores. Unless you got Flagyl, Panacure, or Ivermectin. A snake can have different types of parasites, which call for Flagyl sometimes, sometimes not. The only way to be sure and safe *is* to have a fecal done at the vet, and get the proper meds and dosage.

How do you know your other snake died of worms????

In any case, what types of things have you tried to get him to eat? I am sure you have tried the more common ones but here is a few:

Warm mouse up more
Overnight in box
Overnight in cage
Stunned mouse instead of F/T
Live pinky (be careful with live adult mice but your snake looks tiny still so pinkies i assume)
Scented with anole pinkie
Pinky head
No feeding attempts for one whole week, then try again..
Brained pinkie (cut in head of pinkie to let out blood and what not)
Wet pinkie

bmm

bmm
12-16-2002, 07:21 PM
If the living snake regurged his food give him 10-14 days to recover. Or else he will keep doing it. He needs time to get over something like that. I'd advise not giving him anymore wormer either unless it is a type tried and tested, or you have had a vets help. A mistake with medicine you give internally can be fatal.

bmm

zpeed
12-18-2002, 03:39 AM
Hi,

thanx....
but it didn't work for now...
i will try to feed him again in a couple of days....
for now he is hiding and doesn't move at all.... :(
i am affraid he will die cause he hasn't eaten for a long time now... looks good but weak...

dartguy
12-18-2002, 10:29 AM
actually if you can get live anole babies get a bunch - lizards movement really attracts snakes - I had a baby that would never touch a mouse - but it loved anoles and other wild caught lizards - if you get it to eat one, which shouldnt be hard, put a pinky right after it so the snake keeps eating as if it were one meal - like i said my snake always ate lizards surprisingly fast until i got him on mice -

good luck:D

zpeed
12-19-2002, 03:43 AM
thanks again...
i will buy some this weekend...
does it matter what kind?

greetz
SpeeD

dartguy
12-19-2002, 10:33 AM
I dont think it matters - I used to pay my neighbors kid 50 cents per lizard that he could catch for me behind his grandmothers house. so I think its the lizard smell + the quick movements that interest the snake

good luck:D

zpeed
12-20-2002, 06:19 AM
Hi,

ok..... i tried allmost everything...
i didn't get live lizzards though... cause here in Amsterdam we simply don't have them walking around...
but it's to late anyway... our last snake didn't make it...
the last 2 days he was acting really weird and was byting himself, black spots on the bottom... and died yesterday... :(
thanx for the help...
i am keeping him in the freezer right now and am going to bring him to the vet to see what killed him...

Greetz
SpeeD

dartguy
12-20-2002, 10:12 AM
:(
very sorry

black spots on the bottom could be mites and they WILL kill a snake - especially a hatchling - I speak from experience

I lost this little girl shortly after I started treating her for mites - they were a little more than she could bear

CornCrazy
12-21-2002, 09:39 PM
Before getting any more snakes, be sure everything is disinfected with a bleach solution. You may want to put a few pest strips around to get the mites (if that's what your snakes had) off of the furniture, etc. Be certain to clean the corners of the enclosure REALLY well. Mites are tiny and can hide very easily. Soaking everything in the bleach solution will kill them.

Next, be certain that you buy new snakes from a different person. I personally wouldn't take a chance with the same breeder/pet store. And it is always a good idea to take a new snake to the vet to get a wellness exam and fecal exam.

Once again, I am sorry for your loss.:(

zpeed
12-22-2002, 11:48 AM
hi,

i disinfected it with pure alcohol...
i will wait a couple of days before buying a new snake...
the day before i will buy one i will disinfect it again ... we don't wanna risk anything :)

i will let you know when i got a new one ..

thanx again