PDA

View Full Version : Treating an Upper Respitory Infection

Treating an Upper Respitory Infection

ascottlaw
11-01-2006, 02:21 AM
First, the history of what I did to get this one sick. Here in Montana, we have very low ambient humidity 20% is fairly normal. I keep our adults in steralite boxes with ventilation holes and have been using an 8 inch water bowl to allow them a place to soak. We got this one about 6 weeks ago. At first, the humidity was way to high at 80-90% and it took me a couple of weeks to realize the problem. I drilled more holes and moved the water bowl to the cooler end of the cage which dropped the humidity to the mid 70% range. This eliminated the condensation in the cage and the substrate dried out. I now know that this humidity level is still too high and am taking steps to lower to humidity to the 50% range. Will be using a smaller bowl adding a few more holes. So, I am addressing the cause of the illness.

I am fairly sure he has a URI, but at this point I think it is mild. When he is at rest, I have noticed the he often has his mouth open. I can also hear a clicking sound when he breathes. I have not noticed any mucous or discharge and his activity level seems to be normal. He is still eating normally.

Any suggestion for how to treat this? I have the upper end heat as high as it can go, right at 90 degrees right now, trying to give him a fever. How long do I let it go before I need to take him to a vet?

MegF.
11-01-2006, 06:52 AM
Are you sure he isn't due to shed? The open mouth breathing would concern me, but usually it is accompanied by mucous (which is why they are having to breath thru their mouth instead of their nose). I've heard clicking noises and such when they are about to shed. Higher temp is a good idea but you need to get the humidity down. I wouldn't wait too long before going to a vet. I've known too many people who've lost their snakes because they waited to treat an R.I. His symptoms are odd for an R.I though. If you open his mouth, do you see anything?

dawnrenee2000
11-01-2006, 09:10 AM
I respectfully must disagree with you Meg about the Mucus. Mucus is only present sometimes with a respiratory ailment. Often the infection is only in their lungs and no mucus signs are shown at the nasal or mouth area until the infection is too severe to do anything for it. If an animal is gaping and keeping his mouth open alot he is experiencing some type of respiratory distress. Yes, sometimes a preshed animal will have some minor mouth opening, and clicking sounds due to the skin being loosened over the nose area, but any consistent gaping needs to be checked by a vet as soon as possible . Especially if signs of lower energy, and less desire to eat become present.

MegF.
11-01-2006, 01:29 PM
Thanks for that info. I've only seen open mouth breathing in conjuction with blocked nasal passages or excess mucous buildup in the mouth. Much of the time, even if you don't see mucous externally, when you open the mouth and look, it's there.

ascottlaw
11-01-2006, 02:52 PM
He shed about two weeks ago. I could hear him breathing even then, at the time just thought it was becasue of his size. I'll look into his mouth and see what I can see this evening.

MegF.
11-01-2006, 03:32 PM
You might want to just get him to the vet to be on the safe side. I always try to err on the side of extreme paranoia!

jaric
11-01-2006, 04:17 PM
This may be completely wrong, but I know some lizards will keep their mouth open when they are over heated. I believe the term is called "gasping." Basically they use their mouths a vent to allow excess heat to escape. When I kept a bearded dragon, he would do that before I discovered thermostats...

I admitidly have no idea if snakes do this or if this is even the problem, but thought I might suggest it, in the event that it doesn't turn out to be a respiratory problem.

Whatever it is, I hope the snake gets better

ascottlaw
11-01-2006, 10:38 PM
We have an appointment for 11/15. No gaping mouth tonight, but I think he might be sneezing. Does a snake sneeze sound like a sigh or heavy exhale? Couldn't see anything in his mouth, but he wasn't very cooperative.

MegF.
11-02-2006, 06:15 AM
Let us know how it goes. I think it's a good idea to get him checked.

ascottlaw
11-15-2006, 10:13 PM
We had the vet appointment today and he said the URI is still pretty mild. He gave us some antibiotics to use for the next three weeks and suggested keeping the temps at 102 on the high side and 80 on the low side. I've got the humidity level at 65 percent now and he that was good, any lower with the furnace running and it would get too dry. Looks like everything will be fine. Had to name the patient so they could open the file, so "Bob" now has a name.

MegF.
11-16-2006, 07:33 AM
Good news that you caught it early. Here's to a quick recovery...

ascottlaw
01-12-2007, 08:17 PM
We had the final check for the RI today and everything seems to be clear. He gained an ounce since November and was given a clean bill of health. The only instruction was to not brumate him this year: keep him warm and keep feeding him.

MegF.
01-12-2007, 08:21 PM
Good news. Hope he continues to stay good and healthy for you.

Markey
01-12-2007, 11:55 PM
102 degrees? That sounds terribly high.....you might cook the poor snake. I hope someone with extensive corn knowledge sees what the vet said to keep your temps at. That scares me...
My vet said to keep mine around 78-80. People on two forums told me to keep temps on the warm side at 86-87 and around 80 on the cool side while the snake is recovering...

ascottlaw
01-13-2007, 10:46 PM
I actually followe Don Soderberg's advice about temps rather that the vet's since I had the same fears. The temps never went over 95.

Markey
01-13-2007, 10:54 PM
That's good. I am brand new here and did not notice originally that there were "two" pages to your thread......after going back to see if anyone replied to you, I realized that things were better and that I had missed a few posts.....lol