PDA

View Full Version : Winter's here - Not eating

Winter's here - Not eating

Cornylover2
11-01-2006, 01:50 PM
Do some snakes go off feed during winter months? If so, for how long? I live in Oregon and it's getting colder & colder outside. I keep my house about 70 degrees, snakes cage is 85 on the warm side, around 75 on the cool side, however he has refused food for the past two weeks. My snake just turned a year old and hasn't had any feeding problems in the past so was just wondering. Thank you.

MegF.
11-01-2006, 03:36 PM
Your snake is a little young to be refusing food because of breeding time. Could he be nearing shed? With your temps kept up, he shouldn't be acting as if he's brumating. Do you even know if it's a male or not?

NI GUY
11-02-2006, 06:23 AM
How do you heat your corns tank at night time.

MegF.
11-02-2006, 06:53 AM
I use an Under tank heater. You can use a red heat light if you don't have the uth, but the heat light really dries the air out. The uth is more convenient.

JoannaD
11-02-2006, 11:17 AM
I have some snakes that are refusing food including some yearling garters. I have kept their temps up but they are exposed to light from outdoors and so even though I have lamps on in their area, I think they sense the change because of the decrease in daylight. I have never brumated my snakes and they do fine even going a few months (2 -3 ) without eating. I think I suffer more when they do not eat!

Joanna

MegF.
11-02-2006, 11:29 AM
My male goes off food every year. Usually around January if I don't brumate and he'll not eat until about March. Last year he was bred so he was in brumation until February. He ate out of brumation, but only sporatically during actual breeding time.

Cornylover2
11-02-2006, 02:02 PM
My corn is definately a male. I only use a UTH during the day and at night. No signs of shedding yet although it has been about a month since his last shed, fairly regular. Only problem is that he is still very active at night. When getting ready to shed, I never see him. I don't think it's anything to worry about right now. Maybe just not hungry? I've recently switched him from an adult mouse every 7 days to a rat hopper which he ate with his last meal. Maybe he's still full??

MegF.
11-02-2006, 02:38 PM
How big is this yearling??