PDA

View Full Version : About Crickets

About Crickets

Kotone
11-02-2006, 03:15 PM
I was just reading the thread about bad advice people have been given, and it seemed that "corns like crickets" was a popular one.

Since so many people seem to think corns can eat crickets, and that they're more nutritious than mice, I'd like to know the reason behind this. (I feed my snake mice, so don't worry...lol)

I know that some snakes do eat crickets and other things than mice, but what exactly is the nutritional difference, in terms of corns?

(btw, I'm considering working at a pet store and I really don't wanna be the person to give out bad advice, especially when it comes to snakes. :D)

jaric
11-02-2006, 06:16 PM
Crickets, like all insects, have an exoskeleton that is incredibly hard to digest and tends to cause blockages which leads to severe problems.

Since snakes don't chew their food like lizards do, its the equivalent of you swallowing

jaric
11-02-2006, 06:17 PM
Hmmm that last part was supposed to be

Equivilant of you swallowing a baseball...

cough edit feature cough :)

JasonGranger
11-02-2006, 06:47 PM
Corn snakes are not meant to eat crickets. Period.

...pinkies are not too big for hatchling corn snakes, so I don't see why anyone would tell them to feed crickets. A lot of people underestimate how much snakes really can eat.

Kotone
11-02-2006, 07:05 PM
Corn snakes are not meant to eat crickets. Period.

...pinkies are not too big for hatchling corn snakes, so I don't see why anyone would tell them to feed crickets. A lot of people underestimate how much snakes really can eat.

Like I said, I don't feed my snake crickets because I know it's not good for them, I was just wondering why they're bad for them...

JasonGranger
11-02-2006, 07:16 PM
I know what you said.

Why they're bad is because they're not really digestible for them, as was mentioned above.

BeckyG
11-03-2006, 03:44 PM
Crickets are bad for corn snakes because their digestive tracts were not designed to process them.

pcar
11-03-2006, 03:58 PM
cough edit feature cough :)

become a contributing member...edit features are available then.

jaric
11-03-2006, 05:11 PM
become a contributing member...edit features are available then.
:eek:

I did not know that. Learn something new everyday. (btw that remark was made in jest)

I actually had planned on becoming a cont member once my wallet recovers from the shock of everything I bought while setting up my Viv